He Who Has God Has It All !!!!!!

07 Aug

In the short little bit of time I had for reading yesterday I spent some time reading C.S. Lewis’s “The Weight of Glory”.

In this great essay, Lewis identifies five promises that Scripture supplies regarding our eternal future: “(1) that we shall be with Christ; (2) that we shall be like Him; (3) with a tremendous store of images, that we shall have ‘glory’; (4) that we shall, in some sense, be fed or feasted or entertained; and (5) that we shall have some sort of official position in the universe – ruling cities, judging angels, being pillars of God’s temple. The first question I ask about these promises is ‘Why any one of them except the first?’ Can anything be added to the thoughts of being with Christ? It must be true, as an old writer said, that he who has God and everything else has no more than he who has God only” (31).

Do we really believe this? The world today doesn’t. The loudest voice in our society (and terribly, in some of our churches as well) is that he who gains everything else doesn’t even need God. Or maybe if God really exists, we can throw Him in as icing on the cake. Lewis insists that being with Christ is everything, having Christ is everything, enjoying Christ is everything, and if He is all we have, we have it all. Maybe David put it best:

“I say to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you’” (Ps. 16:2).

Asaph echoes his perspective:

“Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you” (Ps. 73:25).

Posted by on August 7, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

23 responses to “He Who Has God Has It All !!!!!!

1. InfiniteZip

August 7, 2014 at 4:27 am

Wise words,this beautiful morning;) hi Levi;)

2. jamaicanbeauty

August 7, 2014 at 4:28 am

Reblogged this on Jamaicanbeauty's Blog.

3. geoffhorswood

August 7, 2014 at 5:27 am

Excellent. I needed to hear this again this morning. Thanks, Levi.
    Have a blessed day, my friend.

August 7, 2014 at 9:02 am

Good I’m glad I was led to post it. Lord bless you!!!

4. atimetoshare

August 7, 2014 at 6:21 am

Thanks for this, Levi. When ever we feel sorry for ourselves, this is a wonderful thing to keep in mind. We do have it all.

5. Julie Harris

August 7, 2014 at 7:40 am

Thank you for sharing this. Wise words, indeed!!

6. Cate Pane: The Clear Parent

August 7, 2014 at 9:05 am

Excellent post!

7. Michael

August 7, 2014 at 11:06 am

AMEN! And I absolutely love Psalm 73:25-26. Good one, Levi!

August 7, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Great post! thanks for sharing it Levi! Indeed, God is our all! What else could we possibly need?

August 7, 2014 at 1:47 pm

This is all we need even when we don’t realize it!!! Lord bless you Elaine.

August 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Maybe I am in a mischievous mood today …

As I read the words and comments, my thought was simply this: what changes? Now we yearn relationship, preach surrender and service, outflowing love and bringing others to His love. Are we “doing a job” in that we are rewarded – or does eternity simply comprise the same. if this is a great way to be His family – why change (other than our “job” is done)? Have no idea of any answers, just thought it worth adding 🙂

10. Deborah

August 7, 2014 at 5:04 pm

So true. With God I have EVERYTHING! ❤

August 7, 2014 at 8:13 pm

You do my Girl!!! You have everything!!!! Praise The Lord!!!

11. DJ Mynatt

August 7, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Amen!

12. Garden Walk Garden Talk

August 7, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Thanks for sharing, Levi. True happiness without the excess.

August 8, 2014 at 6:21 am

My pleasure, Donna. I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Have a wonderful day!!!

13. beverley

August 8, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I believe in Jesus Christ, to be the Son of God and our Redeemer and i have believed this for nearly 40 years and yet today i was defending my belief to a good friend who also believed in Christ but has got a little lost in Buddhism. Now don’t get me wrong, those who are true believers in the Buddhist way of life and practice it totally are good people but without Christ they are missing the point. That also goes for all those who confess His Holy name and do not his deeds or walk his ways. No one is perfect but if we are not on the right path, then we are on the wrong path wherever it is leading.

14. Megan

August 8, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Love that Psalm! One of my favorites 🙂 As I was reading this I was also thinking of the verse “..I consider all things a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ..” There is no greater joy in this life than knowing Jesus my Lord and Savior!!

August 9, 2014 at 8:33 am

So good is He Megan, and so privileged are we to be included in His family. Thanks and have a great weekend!!!