Our Prayer Walk Around Williamsburg !!!!!!

13 Aug

While in NYC last week I was asked by a couple of people if I would take them to the Williamsburg neighborhood in Brooklyn. Williamsburg is a neighborhood of 113,000 according to the last census, and 73,000 of them are Chasidic Jews, mainly from Eastern Europe. It was established after World War II with many of them being Holocaust survivors. As I’ve stated before, It reminds me of Mea Shearim in Jerusalem that I’ve visited.

There is a fascination with many of Chasidic Jews because they remind us of an ancient people of the Book. They are very orthodox in their Judaism and have a basically closed communtity. If you read my posts regularly, I wrote of Herman, a Chasidic man that trusted Jesus as his Messiah and Savior, a few weeks ago.

The couple that I took had never seen anything like what they saw. I told them not to be seen taking pictures. There is a group named the Shomrim, which means “guardians” in Hebrew, that patrol the neighborhood. Even though I haven’t been in this neighborhood much I knew where I was going and where most of the main places we wanted to see were.

While walking one of the group asked if we had ever read a book, and I honestly don’t recall the name of it or the author now. The premise of the book was that a group had worked very hard witnessing in a particular neighborhood with little success. One of them on a visit asked the others if they would like to have a prayer walk around the perimeters of the neighborhood. They all agreed and they completed their walk. Over the next 5-6 years the whole neighborhood was transformed and many became born again believers in Jesus.

Our small group of 3 decided that we would do this in Williamsburg in a 4 block area that was home to 2 large synagogues. We walked the sidewalks around this area, first one praying and then another. We made no show of it and the people seeing and passing us I’m sure thought we were only talking. It will be interesting to see if God works in any of the hearts of these people. We know that He is able, and I’m confident that ALL of His sheep will be brought into the fold. Our job is to plant the seed and the Holy Spirit does the work. As Jonah said, “salvation is of The Lord” (Jonah 2:9).

image

image

image

image

image

I asked Stewart, a NYC missionary, if he and I can go back there when I return to NYC in a few weeks. He agreed that we would. He did tell me that we would start distributing broadsides (large tracts) on the upstairs doors in case we needed to make a quick escape down.

After saying all of this, I don’t want to leave the impression that this is modern day Jewry. Orthodox Jews I’m told only make up 13% of all Jews. They are a definite minority, but there may be some that will come to faith in Jesus. Who knows how many Hermans The Lord may have there?

Please remember to pray for Jewish missions. Were it not for the Jews we would have no Scriptures, and no Savior. I may post sometime the things that we wouldn’t have without the Jewish people. God gave me a special love and burden for these people 40 years ago and it’s a great privilege to be a part of working among them.

Shalom!!

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on August 13, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

30 responses to “Our Prayer Walk Around Williamsburg !!!!!!

August 13, 2014 at 4:45 am

I am seeing LFL behind the JFJ tee-shirts. And more and more when I read your words, I don’t need to know all the answers (and maybe not even the questions) – or to get a balance and an level political playing field.

LeviForLove is what I read. And isn’t that simply what we should all be about – wherever we are?

2. lulu

August 13, 2014 at 6:40 am

Interesting will be the challenge of converting to Jesus.

August 13, 2014 at 10:25 am

There are some that do every month and it presents a whole package of difficulties many times.

3. mzpresser

August 13, 2014 at 6:46 am

Oh, thank you for this. Tears…

Liked by 2 people

August 13, 2014 at 8:33 am

Great post Levi! Thanks for sharing it! A few years ago I had the privilege of being in a church visiting and there was a man preaching that day who was Jewish but had gotten saved and converted to Christianity. I wish I remembered his name, but he became very active in teaching others how to witness to Jewish people–using the old testament of course. I found it quite interesting and still do.

August 13, 2014 at 10:23 am

Good morning Elaine. Witnessing to Jews is very interesting and challenging. Remember, 87% are atheist or agnostic so they are handled in a different way. There are many challenges with them and it requires the Spirit to remove the veil from their eyes. Have a great day!!!😀

5. james1948

August 13, 2014 at 8:34 am

I do appreciate these capsules of information. They reveal a burdened heart.

6. DJ Mynatt

August 13, 2014 at 10:20 am

We’ll be praying.

7. Cynthia Reyes

August 13, 2014 at 11:02 am

What an interesting journey that God has taken you on, Levi.
    And I’m glad you ended with “Lord Willing”. My family always said: “DV” or Deo Volente, which means “God willing”.

August 13, 2014 at 11:10 am

Hey Cynthia. Yes, it has been quite the month or so. It’s actually been great and the experiences incredible. I’ll be going to NYC a week every month and some other locations besides. I hope all is well with you and your family. Your garden is beautiful from pics I’ve seen. 😀

August 13, 2014 at 11:20 am

I agree with Cynthia. The Lord really has you on an interesting journey! Your pictures take me back to being in Israel. Thanks for sharing those. Glad you didn’t get caught. 🙂

August 13, 2014 at 11:24 am

Hello Sue. It is an interesting course I’m on and exciting to say the least. It to me looks just as Mea Shearim does in Jerusalem. Very little difference. I hope to not get caught, but you never know what may happen. Lol.

9. Paige Hamilton

August 13, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Levi, I am adding this to my missionary prayer list. Several years ago, the Lord put the Jews on my heart and to pray for them, so it was interesting to read about your work in NYC.

August 13, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Good! I appreciate it and am happy you have a desire for them as a people. 😀

10. godisnotlikeyou

August 13, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Love this story, Levi! I can’t wait to hear what God will do in Williamsburg through your prayers.

August 13, 2014 at 5:20 pm

It may be in Heaven before we know if they were of any benefit at all, but He is able as we well know, Carolyne. Hope you’re doing well.

11. lookingthroughanotherseyes

August 13, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Great work Levi, amazing actually and if I may say, any doubters should be pointed in the direction of China and the huge turning to Our Lord there. It’s minblowing and I’m in awe at the wonder of the scale of it at times. Blessed be, Su x

12. lookingthroughanotherseyes

August 13, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I thought I was following your blog already as I get daily emails but at the top of this page is says follow not following so I guess I should click on it lol. Su x

August 13, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Now twice I guess Su. Lol. Thank you for reading me all the time.

• lookingthroughanotherseyes

August 14, 2014 at 1:07 am

You’re more than welcome Levi. It’s great to come along for the ride on your journey of life, thank you for sharing it. You are an inspiration. Su x

13. Garden Walk Garden Talk

August 13, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I would think you would have little chance with the Orthodox Jews accepting Jesus. I have been thinking a lot about the three religions, Jewish, Christian and Muslim. All having the same God, does it make any sense what is happening in the world today between these three religions? The other day your post on forgiving sin, made me think what is happening in Iraq against Christians has to be the worst of sins. There should be no forgiveness. Maybe it is religion being forced on others as the problem. Sorry, but I would need religious guidance to believe otherwise.

August 13, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Anybody forcing anything on anybody is wrong. The Iraq murders by ISIS is horrendous but any sin can be forgiven by Christ. It is all through Scripture. Hard for our minds to wrap around I know. Hope all is well with you!!!

14. Debbie

August 13, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I love hearing about your prayer walk and the way God has called you to this people . . His people! God bless you bunches!

August 13, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Thank you, Debbie. You are very kind. Keep cranking out those wonderful poems!

15. beenough

August 14, 2014 at 1:42 am

Thank you for your ever clear words Levi. Thank you for shining God’s light on the Jewish people. Beautiful to observe.

16. tellthetruth1

August 22, 2014 at 2:51 am

It was probably about three years ago that my Mum came across some paperwork telling her she was Jewish. She was about 77 years old at the time and never knew that until she read it. We were both astounded and cried, thanking the Lord!

August 22, 2014 at 6:22 am

That is really neat. Her family must have really assimilated and had no real traditions left. Thanks for sharing. This also makes you Jewish

• tellthetruth1

August 22, 2014 at 6:27 am

Yes, part Jewish. I never knew any of my blood family as they’d all died in WWII. Mum was adopted which is perhaps part of why the family is in such a bad way now. I see the terrible spiritual connections and they break my heart. All part of what I’ll be writing about if the Lord grants. I’m stuffing other folks writings and some of my own up today! Thanks Levi 🙂