I Answer A Question Frequently Asked Me !!!!!!

14 Aug

Levi, why do you keep getting yourself tied up in such big projects after you have retired?

Why don’t you just take it easy and enjoy everything that you are so blessed with?

This is a question that me, and my wife, have been asked several times lately.

My response is very spontaneous; That is not the kind of person that I am, and that God has made me to be. When I say this, I’m not implying that I don’t enjoy what I’ve been so richly blessed with, because I do!!!

So, could I ever be happy spending all my days traveling and playing golf and fishing and gardening and sitting on the porch sipping lemonade in leisure? Never!!!! They are all enjoyable pursuits at times, but not to take the bulk of my time. There is nothing wrong with any of them, but I do them for relaxation, not my main focus in life.

If there is one thing that I have learned pretty well in my almost 62 years, it’s this; It’s not all about me, but it is all about Him, referring to The Lord God of Heaven. He is the Creator, and I am the created. This is His world and I have been entrusted with the stewardship of all that He has entrusted me with.

Many think in terms of money and the planet when speaking about stewardship. Yes, Β we do have a responsibility over these as good stewards; but I am also to be a good steward of the spiritual gifts that God has given me; the personality that I am; the physical strength that I have been blessed with; and the wisdom (however much that is) based upon the experiences and learning in life taught to me by The Lord. Most important of all is that I have been entrusted with the greatest message a person could ever hear.

It’s just not within me to sit and do nothing when there are tremendously needy people all around us. When I say needy, some may have physical and material needs which I can help with, and it happens often; but the most important need that everyone of us has is our relationship to the God of the universe.

By the grace of God my sins have been forgiven. Forever!!! Never to be remembered again!!! What a message, and what a joy and privilege it is to be able to share it. As a believer I have been entrusted with the answer of man’s reconciliation to God. This is how I ENJOY and WISH to spend the major portion of my days. And in the midst of them I do stop and smell the roses. 🌹🌺🌹

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on August 14, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

24 responses to “I Answer A Question Frequently Asked Me !!!!!!

August 14, 2014 at 4:25 am

” I have been entrusted” – LFL! I am going to get some tee-shirts printed!! Wear them about town. Get people asking “what does LFL stand for?” πŸ™‚

August 14, 2014 at 6:43 am

Paul, that’s all you want is the opportunity to spark a conversation with someone with maybe only a little bit of interest. We never know what The Lord has in mind, Make the letters PFL though. πŸ˜€

2. Ron Whited

August 14, 2014 at 6:10 am

Awesome perspective Levi. I am looking forward to retirement in less than three years so I too can finally have the time to devote to my Savior’s work.
    Be blessed
    Ron

3. Paige Hamilton

August 14, 2014 at 7:00 am

You have my deepest admiration, Levi! There are so many people hurting and needing … and as Christians (particularly middle-class American Christians), we can bring the love of Christ by being engaged in helping them. It’s exactly why my husband and I are getting involved with foster care.

August 14, 2014 at 8:55 am

Paige, I’m so happy that you and your family are working in foster care. That is a large responsibility. The Lord has a particular place for us all. Lord bless you my girl!!!

August 14, 2014 at 9:12 am

Good morning Levi: From what you’ve shared with us over time I can’t imagine you kicked back with a glass of lemonade for the next 40 years just enjoying the birds and weather. πŸ™‚ God has a purpose for each of us and some may enjoy the more sedate lifestyle but I sure don’t see you as being one of them. I may be a late bloomer but I do what I can as He see’s fit to use the gifts He’s given me. You go guy. πŸ™‚

August 14, 2014 at 9:16 am

Good morning Sue. Yes, I hope I didn’t imply that everyone is suppose to be like me. I’m a weirdo, I admit. But I am an active guy with an active mind that wants to use whoever I am for His kingdom. May He be glorified by what each of are led to do. Lord bless you this beautiful day.πŸ˜€

• Sue C.

August 14, 2014 at 12:16 pm

You didn’t. I’m just very grateful the Lord gives different callings to different people. None are more important than the others. I’m His hands and you’re his mouth and feet. lol Blessings to you Levi.

August 14, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Indeed we are all different as it should be. Blessings!!!

5. beverley

August 14, 2014 at 10:57 am

I had an idea what my life was going to look like; a bit of this and that and a bit of the other thrown in and then it all changed and it became some else, something i wasn’t expecting and for a while i was down and despondent and depressed but God gave me something to do – it’s not what i intended but it is so good as it’s all about Him and other people.

August 14, 2014 at 11:39 am

You have blessed me with this and your great outlook. The Lord will use you!! Thanks so much for this, Beverley!!!πŸ˜€

6. Anna

August 14, 2014 at 11:11 am

Your reasoning makes perfect sense. I’m not the personality type to sit still and not help others. While being ill, I’ve struggled with being the one getting help. It’s difficult to switch from one role to the opposite. My prayer and hope is that I will one day be back up and doing the Lord’s work. Until then, I can pray. Thank you for sharing words of wisdom as always, Levi. πŸ™‚

August 14, 2014 at 11:33 am

I hope you are up and at em again real soon my girl. There is always something constructive we can be doing in whatever circumstances we are in. Lord bless you my friend. πŸ˜€

7. DJ Mynatt

August 14, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I’m looking forward to retiring from my job… so I can have more time to spend witnessing – a great way to enjoy my retirement, I’m thinking.
    God bless you, Levi.

8. jameslantern

August 14, 2014 at 12:36 pm

thanks levi thetford for your honesty.that you could pursue this things as the main focus but you choose christ,people dont understand (in context)that you are a joshua,though you are younger than him when he muttered im stronger now(at 85)as i was when moses sent him to spy the land!your testimony encourages such as i.be blessed.

August 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Thanks so much, James. Were you talking about Caleb?

• jameslantern

August 16, 2014 at 1:36 am

no it was joshua that said that ,he and caleb were the only spies that the lord promised they would enter the promised land

9. Moore to ponder

August 14, 2014 at 5:17 pm

What a great perspective! A long time ago I was reading the Bible and came across this sentence:

“Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.” 1 Corinthians 4:1

I was struck by that thought. I know we are supposed to consider the audience the author is addressing, and it made sense to me to go back to these two verses:

“1 Paul called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their’s and our’s” 1 Corinthians 1:1-2

If I am understanding 1 Corinthians 4:1 correctly, we too, are stewards of the mysteries of God. The beautiful tidings of good news have been entrusted to us to share, so that others may hear and rejoice. I hope I didn’t pull anything out of context. I just loved what you shared and it put me in mind of these things.

There are lines to a hymn that seem to convey the beautiful thoughts you have shared:

“I love to tell the story; ’tis pleasant to repeat
    What seems, each time I tell it, more wonderfully sweet.
    I love to tell the story, for some have never heard
    The message of salvation from God’s own holy Word.”

Blessings,
    Theresa

August 14, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Man Theresa, you said it so well. I will hire you to be my ghost writer. Lol. Very well said, and proper context as well. Thanks!!

10. james1948

August 14, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Excellent and thoughtful answer. We may retire from secular employment but there is no retirement with God.

August 14, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I’m actually doing what I did when in business, but now I don’t mix business as the leader. Many thought that I was going to stop being me, I suppose. Lol.

11. Debbie

August 14, 2014 at 7:32 pm

So beautiful and encouraging , Levi! Our service to Him never has to end. God bless you and your kind of retirement!

August 14, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Thanks Debbie. You’re an encourager and I thank you for it!! Blessings to you my poet friend!!!πŸ˜€