STOP!!! Don’t Read This Post If Your Life Is Perfect !!!!!!

15 Aug

It is easy to be a Christian when everything in your life is going according to your liking. I mean, you have your dream job that pays you more money than you’re worth; your health and that of your family is great; all of your relationships are sweet and there is no bickering and jealousy and competition among anyone. Life is sweet!! It’s Heaven on earth!!

But it’s a different story when you have been laid off from your job; the bill collectors are calling and knocking at your door; your car has broken down and the air-conditioner dies in mid summer; your children are seriously ill or perhaps have an addiction; and your best friend has found a replacement for you.

When you have a crisis of faith in your life you really start to ponder between what God has promised and your current circumstances. You wonder if this is really what you signed up for when you became a Christian.

Where can you turn when you experience a battle with your faith? Jesus gave the answer to this question when speaking to His disciples while they were traveling on that dark road to Emmaus.

“And He said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!
Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into His glory?”
And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, He interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.” (Luke 24:25-27).

Isn’t it interesting that Jesus Himself instructed His disciples to find comfort, and the building up of their faith, in the first 5 books of the Bible, and the rest of what we call the Old Testament? I realize that the New was written yet but Jesus told the disciples everything they needed to know from the Old Testament.

Jesus gave the disciples a lesson from the Old Testament that started with Moses writings and continued through the rest of the Old Testament; and He showed them how the pattern of suffering followed by divine glory was always woven through the fibers of the history of God’s people. If they had understood the Old Testament better, the death and burial and resurrection (The Gospel, I Cor. 15:3-4) of Jesus wouldn’t have come as a great surprise. They would have been better armed to face the tough problems of life with an unquestioned faith in God.

I’m convinced that most Christians know the comfort verses of the New Testament. They are all God’s holy inspired Word and are to be used by us for comfort and edification. But the Old Testament is also just as inspired and has actual life events that happened to real men and women and children and how God dealt with them in their situations. These narratives are like reading an action packed book but are laced with historical people and events and interventions by God for the building up of our faith.

So, what am I asking you to do? Read all of the Bible. Spend at least as much time in the Old Testament as you do in the New, if not maybe more. When reading the New Testament see how much of it comes from the Old. You will be very surprised.

I spent year before last just in the Old Testament. It was incredible. The Bible came alive like a motion picture in my mind as I read all of the narratives. And all of the places I saw Jesus was incredible.

Try it, and you will be blessed and your faith will be strengthened!!!

Until next time, Lord willing,

Posted by on August 15, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

51 responses to “STOP!!! Don’t Read This Post If Your Life Is Perfect !!!!!!

1. mzpresser

August 15, 2014 at 4:47 am

Love this!

August 15, 2014 at 4:58 am

What a profoundly wonderful post! All too often the OT is by-passed! GO LFL!!! πŸ™‚

August 15, 2014 at 10:43 am

Hey Paul. It is too often bypassed and blessings are lost. The old English preachers used mainly the OT and blessed many even still today. Have a great weekend and wear you PFL tee shirt . LolπŸ˜€

3. Ron Whited

August 15, 2014 at 5:16 am

Good advice Levi. I’ve always thought of the Old Testament as the foundation needed to support our understanding of the New Testament. In fact I teach or preach more from the old than the new,with the New Testament being more a confirmation of the Old.

Ron

August 15, 2014 at 10:41 am

Good to hear Ron. I love the OT also but too few read it and know any of it other than some few facts. It’s a real faith builder to read it. Have a great weekend!!

4. Garden Walk Garden Talk

August 15, 2014 at 5:34 am

Does God make promises to us or are we to make promises to Him? I wonder how many actually have that perfect life? There is always challenges and how we deal with them makes us the person we are to ourselves and in how others see us. I thinks God’s part in this is shaping us to become the person that copes, then triumphs over adversity.

August 15, 2014 at 10:38 am

Good morning Donna. Yes, God does make promises to His people but they aren’t promises of perfect circumstances like many teach. You said it, He is our peace in adversity and this allows us to cope and even triumph through life’s situations. Have a great day my friend!!!

5. lulu

August 15, 2014 at 6:26 am

I enjoy the Old Testament though some of the stories are unsettling. Few perfect lives there.

6. Heather

August 15, 2014 at 7:39 am

I wholeheartedly second that call to read through the whole bible!! I had tried many times before to read it starting in the Old Testament and couldn’t seem to get past Leviticus! But last year, when some ladies at church were reading the Chronological bible, I was intrigued and one of them gave me her copy and it made so much sense. (I didn’t start til April with the story of David, but it sucked me right in!) So I read the whole thing and started it over again this summer. It seriously deepened my understanding so much!

August 15, 2014 at 10:02 am

Most don’t read the OT but know some of the popular narratives. Think of the life of Noah as you are reading it and what he and his family must have gone through. Abraham and his sons are fascinating. They are all juicy if you get into their lives and aren’t reading just for facts. I’m proud of you, Heather!!!

• Heather

August 15, 2014 at 10:27 am

Absolutely!! The best books are the ones where you can identify with some aspect of the characters… but what makes the Bible even better is they were actually REAL people! Thanks Levi!

7. Sharon

August 15, 2014 at 8:33 am

Amen Levi. The Old Testament is filled with so much good stuff. Until I started studying it I didn’t know what I was missing. Now I would rather be in the Old than the New. It is so pertinent to today also which is helpful. Thank you for this blessing today.

August 15, 2014 at 9:51 am

My pleasure, Sharon. It is a treasure trove waiting to be gone through. I appreciate you!!!

August 15, 2014 at 9:05 am

Thanks for the encouragement Levi! Have a wonderful weekend!

9. deborah ann

August 15, 2014 at 11:52 am

Levi, my life is “being made perfect” and therefore I will continue to go through the fire until such time I am as good as gold . . . and I just don’t see that happening in my life time! πŸ™‚ ~ Blessings ~

August 15, 2014 at 12:04 pm

And Deborah, it will never be in our lifetime for the reason you stated. But this is what many believe, that everything here is a mini heaven. He suffered therefore He showed us we must also. But we have peace through it all because He is our strength and fortress. Thanks for the great comment.

10. lljostes

August 15, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I’m glad you are encouraging the reading of the Old Testament. That’s the reason I use the reading from the One Year Bible. It has an OT reading, NT reading, Psalm and Proverb for each day. I’m amazed at how many times the OT reading is reflected in the New. The whole kit and kaboodle is the amazing Word of God that shows us Jesus! Blessings ~ Laura

August 15, 2014 at 1:36 pm

It is ALL just as inspired and we are missing a real understanding God and His ways without it. I’m so glad you are reading it daily. Keep writing. You’re a blessing. πŸ˜€

11. Moore to ponder

August 15, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Yes, yes yes! I just loved this post! I have been on a similar wave length for 8 or 9 months now. But you know what? I had forgotten about the conversation the Lord had with them on the road to Emmaus. Oh how I wish I had been walking along and got to hear what He said. Thank you for sharing this.

I am one of those less than perfect ones (a huge understatement).

Please pray for our dear sister in the faith and also in the world of bloggers, Debbie Feller. Her mother might be having surgery on her heart today.

Blessings,
    Theresa

August 15, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Theresa, you are so funny saying you are one of the less perfect ones. We all are!!! That’s why we need to know the OT to see the real people like Abraham and Lot and Isaac and Jscob and David, etc. we are all the same kind of people but the grace of God sees past us and only sees Jesus. Jesus is on every page of the OT. I’m glad you’re reading it. Good to hear from you and I will remember to pray for Debbie Feller. What’s her blog name?

• Moore to ponder

August 15, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I don’t think I ever asked her. I would say, “How is your mother”, but never asked what her name was. I know one thing, though. Deb adores her, and I don’t even know how to express how much Deb means to me, and to so many others. The Lord knows her name. That’s the important part. πŸ™‚

• Moore to ponder

August 15, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Oh, I did not read what you asked correctly. I am in desperate need of stronger glasses. Here it is:

August 15, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Ok. I know Deb but didn’t know about her mother. Thanks for telling me. I just talked to her today. I will certainly pray for her. Thanks, Theresa.

August 15, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Is it Deb the poet?

• Moore to ponder

August 15, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Yes, and I just got an emaqil from her with really good news. She will probably be by here when she can, because I told her that I requested prayer on her behalf here at your blog. πŸ™‚

August 15, 2014 at 8:25 pm

That’s good. I love her too. She is a wonderful lady. She doesn’t have comments on her blog so I just talk to her when she comments on mine. So, is her mother okay?

• Moore to ponder

August 15, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Deb told me that the doctor’s thought they might need to do by pass surgery. However they did an angioplasty, found 3 blockages and were able to stent them all. They might even be able to send her home tomorrow. Deb was so relieved. πŸ™‚

• Debbie

August 15, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Oops . . .sorry to repeat! I didn’t see this before I commented! Thank you dear Theresa for praying and seeking others to pray too! Love you!

August 15, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Theresa is a sweetheart too. I’m so glad I have found this out to continue to pray for you all.

August 15, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Great news. stints are used a lot these days very successfully. Debs on now. Thanks again.

12. Debbie

August 15, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Thank you, dear Levi, for talking about suffering and how it IS part of our lives . . .not a curse or sign we are ‘t walking with Jesus. And I too love the OT!
    My. 83 yr. old mom had an angioplasty today and they opened and stented three blockages successfully and she is doing great! Yay Jesus! Thank you so much for your prayers and faith!

August 15, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Deb, Theresa just told me about your mom and I have been praying for her and you. Such good news about your moms condition. Thank The Lord. Anyone that says we are sick because we sin doesn’t know the Bible and I would run from them. Such great news. Thanks for sharing it with me. πŸŒΊπŸ’πŸ™

13. Cynthia Reyes

August 15, 2014 at 9:07 pm

You are so right that it’s easy to have faith when everything’s great. The times in the valley are the big test. As for the OT, I love much of it, and am frustrated by some of it.
    God bless, Levi.

14. Paige Hamilton

August 15, 2014 at 9:59 pm

My pastor devotes one service to the OT and one service to the NT. I have found that I love the OT just as much as the NT, maybe even better because now I am able to clearly see God’s plan was in place all along, from before Creation. And I can see that what the Apostle James wrote is true … there is no shadow of turning with God. The God of the OT is the same God of the NT.

15. beverley

August 16, 2014 at 3:12 am

Today you are an answer to my prayer. You see i began reading one chapter a day of the Old Testament, back at the beginning of December last year and i am now in 1 Samuel. I have learnt many things and many things which were stories out of context now have a place but i have been praying recently and asking God why he kept these writing as all the people seem to do is fight and fight some more, but you are right, when they are good God blesses them – until next time.

I now teach children at church, 6-8 years old, and when you are that age you like to bring your friends along and they so, at times and yet it always surprises me how many of these children have barely heard the word God nor do they know anything about him or even where to find him, which i find a little sad.

August 16, 2014 at 6:43 am

Beverley, today you have confirmed again my reason to write the post. Thank you for sharing what you did. When reading the OT I want you to look for the pre- incarnate Jesus. He is on almost every page. You’re a blessing. Teach those kids!!πŸ˜€

• beverley

August 18, 2014 at 5:11 am

You are welcome.

16. Skye

August 16, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Amen, Dear Levi. I could not agree more. πŸ™‚ Hope you are doing well and having a lovely weekend. πŸ™‚

August 16, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Thanks Skye! Having as good weekend. Got my hay baled and hauled a bunch today. Now we are out with friends. I do hope you are doing good dear girl. Have a nice Sunday!!πŸ˜€

17. IrmMa

August 18, 2014 at 12:12 am

Reblogged this on Living in the Last Hour and commented:
    I am going through the entire Bible this year, meditating on every word, asking God to teach me and so far…the Lord has revealed through the OT so much of His character, His love which is just amazing. And it’s everything that Jesus spoke of in the NT. How great is our God! Good advice, Levi.