Jesus Compassion On the Multitude !!!!!!

18 Aug

Thursday before last, I was standing on the SW corner of 5th Ave and 35th St. in NYC during the 4:00pm rush hour. There was nothing but a wall of people on the sidewalks and crossing the streets, as far as my eyes could see. Most weren’t walking particularly fast, but they were focused on a final destination. As I was looking upon these individuals I was thinking of their final destination.

In Matthew 9:36 we read of Jesus when He was looking out on the multitudes: “But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like a sheep having no shepherd”.

Jesus in this passage felt great compassion for the crowds of people. When He looked upon all of these followers He saw people who were helpless, tired, hungry, sick, depressed, and sinful. They were to Him as sheep having no shepherd.

I had a similar frame of mind as I was standing on that crowded street corner passing out the Gospel message. It was impossible to give everybody one, and not all would take one; but in the hour or so that I was standing 322 people opened their hand to take hold of one. My message was simple as I looked them in the eyes.; “I have something just for you”. I had a short conversation with a few of them. One person I spoke with for 5 minutes or so and I got the contact information for a future meeting.

My mission wasn’t to go into detail with these folks with the full Gospel message, but it was to plant the seed for their next encounter with “whoever” The Lord sends their way. Jesus said something about this;  “For here the saying holds true, ‘One sows and another reaps. I sent you to reap that for which you did not labor. Others have labored, and you have entered into their labor” (John 4:37-38).

I have reaped many times of that which I didn’t labor; but the seed sower is just as crucial in the process. All of us can do this. Today, won’t you sow a little seed???

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on August 18, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

28 responses to “Jesus Compassion On the Multitude !!!!!!

August 18, 2014 at 4:32 am

One big family, one big team, one little mustard seed, one tended soil, one connection. Love Mr S’s observations, truly love your eyes and heart.

August 18, 2014 at 6:30 am

We are a big team that The Lord is building to accomplish His task. Armed with His Word and Spirit we can’t fail! Have a great rest of your day, Paul!

2. mzpresser

August 18, 2014 at 5:13 am

Yes I’m signed up!!!

3. Anonymous

August 18, 2014 at 6:05 am

Thank you for the encouragement Levi to go out and witness, in whatever way we can. Even just saying you’re praying for someone or adding “God bless” to a message to a non-Christian can cause a tiny seed to take root.

August 18, 2014 at 6:43 am

You are so right. The Holy Spirit takes our words and uses them for His purpose. Have a great day and The Lord bless you!!!

4. Levi Thetford

August 18, 2014 at 6:32 am

I knew from reading some of your post that you were on the team. Scatter some seed today, Melissa!!

5. lulu

August 18, 2014 at 6:56 am

What a gift you are, Levi.

August 18, 2014 at 7:56 am

You’re too kind Lulu. We have the greatest gift in Jesus. I’m enjoying all if l

August 18, 2014 at 7:56 am

I’m enjoying your Maine summer. Fabulous!!

6. Mark Myers

August 18, 2014 at 7:16 am

Good word about the process, Levi. We never know what a word we say or action we take will work in combination with others down the road.

August 18, 2014 at 7:57 am

There is no job too small in the process. Have a great day Mark!!!

7. Karen Pickering

August 18, 2014 at 7:51 am

Thank you for faithfully sowing the seed, Levi. Too often I am silent because I don’t think there is enough time or the time isn’t just right. I need to remember that it is God at work, not me. He can use the little bits I say.

August 18, 2014 at 7:58 am

He can and does Karen. You’re a great witness I know. Have a great day!!!

8. donna213

August 18, 2014 at 8:20 am

As a gardener, it is a very good analogy in planting the seed.

August 18, 2014 at 9:55 am

Yes it us and it is the same process. Have a nice day!!😀

9. Sharon

August 18, 2014 at 8:59 am

In obedience to God’s call I will be opening my home to some unchurched, and some churched young women to sow seeds of hope on Thursday evening. I’m anticipating that God plans a movement of the Holy Spirit in the lives of these women. I’m very excited to see Him at work. Satan has already begun his attack. I’d appreciate prayer for Jesus to be very present through me as I humbly surrender to His call and for these who will be here. Thanks again Levi for the inspiration, allowing God to use you.

August 18, 2014 at 10:50 am

This sounds great, Sharon. Greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world. His Word won’t return void. This is great comfort when sharing. It is His work and we are instruments used by His mighty hands. Lord bless you, Sharon.😀

10. P.Sewell

August 18, 2014 at 9:48 am

Sounds like a great trip! Best… Phil

11. Paige Hamilton

August 18, 2014 at 10:05 am

It is overwhelming to think of how many people there are in the multitudes who need to know about Christ’s love. Recently my husband and I made a decision to never let anyone leave our house without at least hearing a part of the Gospel or getting a tract. We can be a voice for Christ, a light in the dark, a willing worker for the harvest … trusting that God will use our every attempt for His great purposes and glory. Thanks for your continued encouragement and example, Levi!

August 18, 2014 at 10:48 am

That sounds wonderful what you and your husband are doing. Only in Heaven will we know the results of how The Lord has worked through us. Have a great Monday, Paige.

12. DJ Mynatt

August 18, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I bet you’re glad you didn’t have to feed them!

August 18, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Lol. No kidding! I was thinking about regular food or I would have been sweating!! Lol.

13. Moore to ponder

August 18, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Something dawned on me as I read this post. I was thinking about how exciting it must have been to be able to reach out the way you did. Then I read the part about how one sows and another reaps. Then I thought about the idea of service and the verse about offering a cup of water in Jesus name and not losing the reward.

Lately for a number of reasons my husband and I have been almost house bound. He had to retire unexpectedly, and there also have been jobs that I have had to turn down, because I need to be at home with him. I have been able to watch a few children here and there. Right now we have one little 19 month old girl that comes every Monday and sometimes on Tuesdays. Her father works really long hours, and sometimes has to bring her as early as 6:00 in the morning, and sometimes has to pick her up as late as 8:00 at night. It would be hard for him to find a day care that was open those hours. I only make between $20 and $40 dollars a week doing that job, but it is a big help to him, and both my husband and I have gotten so attatched to her. We almost feel like grandparents.

I sometimes get hung up on my service needing to be official church service to be the Lords work. This post really blessed me. I’m sorry my comment was so long.

Blessings,
    Theresa

August 19, 2014 at 6:20 am

Good morning, Theresa. Any service or thing done in the name of The Lord is ministry. It doesn’t have to be performed under the control of a church. Ministry should be a part of our everyday living. It sounds great how you’re helping the father in watching the Baby girl. I’m sure you’re a testimony to our Lord in doing this. Have a great day today!!!😀

14. Susan Irene Fox

August 19, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Any time we reach out to someone in love, we are the hands and heart of Jesus. He did not always preach, but he always loved. Those are the seeds we can plant daily for God to reap.

August 19, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Yep, that’s right. He loved by deeds which displayed His real love to them. Thanks Susan!!!

15. teaamongfriends

August 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Reblogged this on Tea Among Friends and commented:
    We sow the seed, and Jesus will take care of the increase!