Do You Live In the Real World??????

20 Aug

I have had a thought on my mind for 2 days now that I want to share with you. Like most people, I feel the most comfortable, and accepted, when I am around people that are pretty much like myself. I was talking to one of my friends in the coffee shop about it this morning.

Most people spend almost, if not all of their time, around people that pretty much think, act, and like the same things that they do. There is nothing wrong with this, and in fact, we all need this kind of fellowship. It’s healthy and should be a part of all of our lives.

I think in addition to this, we should all have a portion of our time spent with people that we have maybe nothing in common with at all. Jesus, our Master Teacher, shows us this pattern in His life. He didn’t only spend His time with His disciples, and others, who believed that He truly was the long awaited for Messiah, God in the flesh, Son of God. He also spent much of His time among the common, messed up people of society. People like me, and maybe you.

“The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!” (Matt. 11:19).

Jesus was not ashamed to be called a “friend of tax collectors and sinners” (Luke 7:34). The parable of the lost sheep is an example of the work of Jesus going out to seek the lost. This was a problem with the Pharisees, and maybe the Pharisees of our own day. They had no problem with people seeking God, but they had (and have) a real difficulty with God seeking out sinners.

Today, God is still seeking out sinners through His people. No, we aren’t to be like those He is seeking in deeds and actions, but you can be a friend to sinners without taking part in their lifestyles.

Won’t you be a person used by The Lord to seek out His people in the world today??? Here is something for you to think about today.

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on August 20, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

40 responses to “Do You Live In the Real World??????

1. InfiniteZip

August 20, 2014 at 4:33 am

Nice piece Levi 🙂

2. nickyab

August 20, 2014 at 4:33 am

Great post!!

3. Anonymous

August 20, 2014 at 4:46 am

Amen, Dear Levi!! I cannot wait to show this one to my children. It is a subject we discuss quite often. Thank you!! Sometimes Mom needs backup. 🙂 Have a great day, Dear Friend

4. Skye

August 20, 2014 at 4:50 am

Thank you, Dear Levi. I cannot wait to show this to my children. It is a subject we discuss quite often. Sometimes Mom needs backup!! Thanks, Dear Friend.

August 20, 2014 at 11:47 am

I’m backing you up, Skye. I think you are home schooling if I remember right and it’s very important for your children to mix it up. I have seen a lot of things as children grow up that haven’t mixed with society. Have a great day Friend. 😀😀

August 20, 2014 at 5:03 am

Nice thought to have. Great thing to share. Wonderful thing to have in my head! Thank you.

6. Karyl

August 20, 2014 at 5:35 am

This is very important. I have to remember to reach out to those who don’t know Jesus.

August 20, 2014 at 11:43 am

It does take conscious effort, Karyl. Hope you’re doing well?

• Karyl

August 20, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I’m doing well. Thanks! Have a great day!

7. atimetoshare

August 20, 2014 at 6:17 am

Agreed. Sometimes we become paralyzed when we don’t move out of our comfort zone.

August 20, 2014 at 11:41 am

You’re so right and yet that’s where most remain. What a boring way to live and not many opportunities to share The Lord either. Have a great day Kathy.

8. Garden Walk Garden Talk

August 20, 2014 at 6:52 am

Nice thoughts Levi, much to consider. I myself seem to associate more with people far different than myself. I am reserved, yet many of my friends can be loud and boisterous. Almost all my friends have opposing politics. Some of my friends are atheists and only look to science and the provable. I don’t seek them out, but find I like the variety of personalities and interests.

August 20, 2014 at 11:40 am

Good for you Donna. And you can have some great dialogue with them too I’m sure.

9. Cynthia Reyes

August 20, 2014 at 7:04 am

An important reminder for us, Levi.

10. Karol Joseph

August 20, 2014 at 7:11 am

Amazing! I just taught on this last night at the Brooklyn Bible study. I couldn’t agree with you more!

Sent from my iPad

August 20, 2014 at 7:36 am

Good morning Karol. How are you? The Lord must be trying to send a message. I realized this a few years ago and made some changes. After being home from NY it was very noticeable to me again. Have a great day!

August 20, 2014 at 7:42 am

Great post! Good advice for all of us–to step out of our comfort zone and spend time with people who are not like us. I know of several people who have made it obvious that they disapprove of someone associating with a person who is “not saved”, being very outspoken about poor choices in friends and acquaintances. Doesn’t seem like a very Christian attitude at all.

August 20, 2014 at 8:03 am

It doesn’t seem Christian at all, Elaine. Sounds almost cultish doesn’t it. Our Great Example didn’t follow those guidelines. Have a great day!!!

12. Michael

August 20, 2014 at 7:46 am

Seems we’ve been thinking along the same lines! 🙂

August 20, 2014 at 8:01 am

It seems more than you and I have had this thought. The Lord may be saying something.

13. msauthorette

August 20, 2014 at 9:19 am

A very good topic of discussion Levi. It’s in sharing with people similar to us that we gain acceptance and comfort even. But it’s in branching out to those different from us that we gain compassion, growth, and the chance to impact their lives through Christ (through kindness, care, friendship, and sharing the news of salvation through Him) that we both may not have otherwise had. I think so often we get used to being in our comfort zone. But the comfort zone isn’t where we do our best growing, is it? A lot of thoughts this morning. Blessings to you. 🙂

August 20, 2014 at 11:38 am

Kristina, thank you for the great comment. This topic has hit a good nerve it seems. Have a great day young lady!!!

14. Paige Hamilton

August 20, 2014 at 9:25 am

It’s a fine line to walk … being in this world but not of this world, knowing and loving those who don’t know and love Christ while not being influenced by their behaviors, etc. And yet, how will they come to know and love Christ if we don’t tell them and show them? Good encouragement this morning!

15. linda parvin hutchinson

August 20, 2014 at 9:59 am

Bravo Levi!

16. Loca Gringa

August 20, 2014 at 10:25 am

People are often afraid of associating with others unlike them. That feeling of fear breed dissension and often hatred as is very much evidenced in today’s societies.

We need to ACCEPT each other for our differences, and not condemn each other because of them, because the others don’t fit our model of perfection. We need NOT, to tolerate others, we need to ACCEPT. Tolerate is a word that implies others are less than us. Jesus accepted whether or not people shared his beliefs before or after his teachings. Those are the lessons that need learning.

August 20, 2014 at 11:33 am

That was exactly what I was trying to say. Well said.😀

17. kathryningrid

August 20, 2014 at 2:04 pm

As often as not, I also find that when I make room in my life for genuine conversation and interaction with people whom I see as really different from me, I learn how little I really knew them and how many of my assumptions were incomplete or entirely wrong. And sometimes I find that I have a whole lot to learn from them, as well. Goodness comes in far more shapes and patterns than we small humans can easily recognize! Lovely post.
    🙂 Peace,
    Kathryn

August 20, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. I have several friends that are opposite of me in about every area of life but we are true friends that understand each other. Thanks for the great comment!!

18. Ron Whited

August 20, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Good stuff Levi!
    What good are we to The Lord if our light only shines in the presence of other believers?
    Sometimes I have to remind myself as I’m watching the latest atrocities being shown on the evening news that Christ died for the worst of us,of whom I was once numbered.
    As someone so wonderfully stated:”but for the grace of God go I”.
    That about sums it up!
    Have a great evening.
    Ron

August 20, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Thanks Ron. It’s really like we are a great population of bigots. We must shine in the darkness!! If it weren’t for that amazing grace we would be just like them. Thanks for the great comment!!

19. mzpresser

August 21, 2014 at 6:09 am

Awesome post. So glad I could read it today, very thankful.

August 21, 2014 at 6:34 am

My pleasure Melissa. Have an exciting day following Jesus!!

20. Debbie

August 21, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Thank you, dear Levi! I need a little push and encouragement to do this consistently! :). God bless you!