How Are We To Be God’s Witnesses ??????

26 Aug

In my daily Bible reading program a chapter of the book of Acts is read daily. I have read this book so many times that I am don’t think it is having the impact it did on me as it did in the beginning.

I have decided, for my benefit, and for yours hopefully, to attempt to write a daily devotional from my readings. Last Thursday was the first, but at that time I hadn’t decided to do this. I hope you will enjoy them, if not, let me know. It won’t hurt my feelings.

“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth” (Acts1:8).

When Jesus said, “You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth,” we seem to think this means that we need to go out and speak to everyone about Jesus. Now, I really do believe that we need to go out and proclaim the Gospel, but I think the choice of words used here is interesting: “You will be my witnesses”; In other words, your life, as well as your words, is a witness to the world about Jesus.

This is something we all should think about; It really does matter what I do, and how I live, as much, or more than my words. It is one of the reasons so many people are turned off to Christianity. They really don’t want to be like some of us. They don’t see any differences in being a Christian except going to church some. They don’t see any difference between Christians and everyone else.

What about you and me? How do people see us? What kind of a witness are we? What kind of a witness do we want to be? Are there inconsistencies between our lives and our witness? What doesn’t match up between our life and our witness?

Something to think about on this beautiful day!

Shalom, until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on August 26, 2014 in Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

46 responses to “How Are We To Be God’s Witnesses ??????

1. Mark Myers

August 26, 2014 at 5:15 am

Your writing spun one thought in my mind. Jesus said, “You WILL be…” meaning that if you are His, you are his witness – all the time. We can’t turn it off when we want to have a non-witness moment… Yes, we are human and will fail, but we are Always his witness.

Liked by 2 people

August 26, 2014 at 10:08 am

Good thought, Paul. There is no doubt that we all have some kind of witness, good or bad. It does say we will be His witnesses. We carry a responsibility as His people which, although not perfect, will testify of Him. Thanks for the great observation. Have a great day, even on the roads.

August 26, 2014 at 5:50 am

Interesting and appetite-whetting! That word “witnesses” caught me. I always think of it as the courtroom version of “I saw that guvnor, I was there, it was him wot done it”.

Yet today because of your verse, your questions and Mark’s comments – and with that starting point I carry – seems to me that unless we can say “I see Him, He is here now, He is real right now, and this how I know – and That Is Why I Choose to live as I do” … then we are not “witnessing” anything at all.

And if we are not witnessing anything – are we not simply book reviewers of just “another book”.

• Sharon

August 26, 2014 at 6:48 am

Absolutely. Well said Paul. Thanks for that courtroom scenario. It brings it to light.

August 26, 2014 at 3:00 pm

You hit the nail on the head, Paul. You just say things better than I do, “Book reviewers” is a term I must remember if my old old will allow it. 😀👍

3. lulu

August 26, 2014 at 6:22 am

How we live is as important as anything we can say.

August 26, 2014 at 10:05 am

So true, Lulu. Hope all is well in the NE. Are you going back to Texas in the Fall?

• lulu

August 26, 2014 at 10:08 am

Yes, we return to Texas in November so I enjoy every minute in Maine.

August 26, 2014 at 10:14 am

So you are “snowbirds” I guess? That’s great. You’re blessed. I would be too but my wife thinks we need to hang around here because of all of the kids and grand kids. Plus, her elderly mother depends on her a lot. I booked a couple of nice trips last night over the next couple of months. Maybe one day we can. Enjoy my friend!

• lulu

August 26, 2014 at 10:49 am

I view it as being lucky to experience places that are so different, each of which if filled with family and memories.

4. Sharon

August 26, 2014 at 6:46 am

And how can we be witnesses if we don’t experience Jesus’ work in our lives. We need to really know Him to be an effective witness. Knowing Him intimately allows the Holy Spirit to do His work in and through us. Thanks for the reminder Levi. Have a blessed day.

5. atimetoshare

August 26, 2014 at 7:19 am

If we open our arms first, the word is so much easier to spread. Thanks for a great message!

6. Meredith

August 26, 2014 at 7:29 am

2Chronicles 2:6 “eyes of The Lord watch us.” As do others. Live a life worthy of him. Thanks

7. DJ Mynatt

August 26, 2014 at 8:26 am

One of my favorite preachers, Dr. David Gibbs Jr., likes to say “are you making Jesus look good?” We use this saying a lot with the grandchildren when they’re fighting over something or complaining, but we also see when applies to people out in the world. Too many people dress inappropriately or use bad language indiscriminately – do they have any idea who they are being a witness for?… cause they’re not making Jesus look good!

Let’s consider this in everything we say and do… let’s make Jesus look good… smile, look for the good in people, pay it forward.

God bless you, Levi – you DO make Jesus look good. We can all see Jesus in your words and deeds.

August 26, 2014 at 10:00 am

Thanks, Donna. What you have said is right. We all need reminders from time to time. Have a great day!!!

8. Heather

August 26, 2014 at 9:53 am

Amen Levi! Our pastor pointed out the week before last that Acts 1:8 is the great commission from Matt. 28:19 repeated. In Matthew, it says “As you go…” like as you go through your day let others see Jesus in you– where you go, how you act, what you read or watch, how you treat the check out girl, etc. etc. ♥ Live out Love : )

August 26, 2014 at 9:57 am

Agreed! We are always being seen by somebody. Have a great day, Heather!!!😃☀️

• Heather

August 26, 2014 at 9:59 am

Absolutely! You too!!! : )

9. Elouise

August 26, 2014 at 11:21 am

Levi,
    Your meditation is wonderful. It reminds me of something I read years ago (not the author’s exact words, but something very like this): If our little lives don’t reflect our master story (the story of Jesus), the truth of the master story will be diminished/unrecognizable.
    Elouise

August 26, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Your story says it all. Let’s make Him recognizable. Thanks for the good words!!

10. Linda Arthur Tejera

August 26, 2014 at 11:24 am

There is no greater teacher than example. Just look at our Great Teacher! He taught everything by example. It wasn’t just “do what I say”, it was “follow me”! 🙂

August 26, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Yep, and you’re a good teacher too, Linda. Thanks for sharing this. Have a great day!!😀

11. a gentle iconoclast

August 26, 2014 at 8:02 pm

About the comments here, forgive me, but… I have to be a dissenting voice. Do you know that you are seeing yourselves and Christians in general as Ghandi did? He didn’t believe, he said, because of Christians. Now I know I fail and all of us do, but is what Ghandi said really just? He rejected Jesus Christ because he hated God, not because of us. There were probably some incredible stinkers among the so-called (European) Christians in India. However, think of all those who gave their lives to missions there, and they had to speak – didn’t they? – or no one would have known the Gospel and been saved.

Our hearts condemn us. Satan accuses us. I guess I just am wary of saying it’s how we live not what we say, when Jesus came to preach (and die), and told us to go and teach (and carry our cross). Your passion for reaching the lost shows in what you say, but truly He is our only judge, and sometimes we get it wrong about ourselves. And the Bible doesn’t say we will be rejected because we’re not perfect. It says we will be an odor of life among those being saved, and of death among those who are lost.

Let’s pray and study and seek God with all our hearts – but not paint with a broad brush ourselves and others, as unworthy to even speak for Christ unless we’re perfect. Isn’t His power made perfect in weakness – not sin, but weakness?

Maria

August 26, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Maria, thank you for your comment. Maybe I didn’t get across what I really was trying to say properly. There is no way that I believe that we are to be perfect. I would fail first. The Gospel is what saves and must be proclaimed, but it won’t be heard if a life doesn’t at least resemble the Gospel. My message is one of pure grace, no works involved, but a gift of God. Many professing Christians, I’m not going to judge, live no different than the lost. This is what I’m referring to. Does this make sense to you?

Liked by 2 people

• a gentle iconoclast

August 26, 2014 at 8:36 pm

In your life, Levi, yes, it is grace – this is evident! And it does make sense, yes, that our lives should be holy and blameless in love. This is what He died to do for us.
        Right now, I’m sensitive to this topic and perhaps shouldn’t have responded, except that the Biblical words about these things – for example, that we really are an odor of life or death – are more helpful than comments about how good we have to be before we speak.
        I’m sorry – not intent on causing a ruckus. Yes, I will ask the Lord to change me so that others will listen better when I try to speak for Jesus,
        Maria

August 26, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Maria, you said nothing wrong at all. I probably didn’t articulate well what I was trying to say. I’ve never professed to be a writer. I didn’t mean to imply that we must be purely upright before we speak the Gospel or give our testimony to someone. You’ve caused no ruckus at all. I appreciate your comments. I really do.

• a gentle iconoclast

August 26, 2014 at 8:56 pm

About imperfections in writing, everything we do is so imperfect – trying to communicate presents a HUGE challenge. Somehow the Lord get us there though.
            Thank you, Levi! God bless you!

Psalm 119:96

August 26, 2014 at 8:59 pm

And God bless you, my friend. I certainly know of my imperfections, which are many. He is so long suffering and gracious. I’m so thankful for that.

12. mzpresser

August 26, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Great post. Your post made me think of trial. I’ve been a trial attorney my whole career and I can read witnesses usually as soon as they walk in the door for a deposition. I find the greatest problem with the Christian witness is people trying to pretend. Christianity isn’t about pretending it’s about becoming who you are in Him. Thanks to the holy spirit for your words!

August 27, 2014 at 4:48 am

And thank you, Melissa for your insight that spills over from your attorney work. Pretenders usually are easy to spot. Blessings to you this day!!!😀

• mzpresser

August 28, 2014 at 5:04 am

God bless you my friend!

August 28, 2014 at 6:16 am

I pray The Lord uses you today for His glory. 😀

13. Susan Irene Fox

August 27, 2014 at 10:57 am

Levi, your post reminds me of the words of St. Francis of Assisi: “Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”

I understand what Maria is saying as well, and she reflects the apostle Paul’s writing in Romans 10:8-15 that we are to bring the gospel to those who have not heard it so they may be saved.

These go hand in hand if we are to build God’s kingdom.

Thought- and character-building post today, Levi.

August 27, 2014 at 11:03 am

Thanks for your comment, Susan. I understood Maria as well. I’m not sure I ever got through but I hope I did. I was just speaking from another aspect of witnessing. Have a great day!!!😀

14. P.Sewell

August 27, 2014 at 11:14 am

Levi, your introduction is what spoke to me. You were doing a good thing.. (Daily reading) but realized it wasn’t impacting you as in the past. instead of continuing down that same path you committed to the devotional writing, which will require a more intense effort of reading,mediatation and writing. I appreciate the work of grace in your life.

August 27, 2014 at 11:17 am

Thanks, Phil. You wrapped it up like it was. They were only words I was reading without the message. Do guys doing ok?

15. P.Sewell

August 27, 2014 at 8:36 pm

we are doing good.. Hope to be able to visit soon…

August 27, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Just let me know. From mid sept thru oct we will be gone about 4 weeks. Is Mary doing fine after the hospital stay? We went to grace and heard about it.

16. Sheila

September 1, 2014 at 10:23 am

I’ll look forward to your daily reflections! It’s a great way to help us dedicate the time we should to the Word. As P. Sewell said, it requires a more intense effort of reading, writing, and meditation. For me, it has proven to be one of the best aids to my walk with the Lord. And I’ll be getting back on schedule tomorrow morning, Lord willing. We’ve got to do something about having internet when we’re down in Mario’s hometown!