He Left Right Before Their Very Eyes !!!!!!

27 Aug

And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:9-11 ESV)

It has been only a few weeks ago that a dear blogger and her spouse lost a child in an accident. As I read the words of the incident I could only feel for them with my heart, and wonder what they must be going through, and what their thoughts must be. They are believers, but they are still human and I’m sure must ask God these questions… Why? This just shouldn’t have happened; the normal order is for the child to bury their parents; this is surely not what a loving God would want. A parent should never outlive their children.

The disciples must have been feeling this way as the parents above. Jesus was with them; He was taken away from them by being crucified; He returned and spent 40 more days with them; then all of a sudden He was taken from them again. How must they have felt? All of their thoughts about how things should be, or were going to be, were marred again. They must have been terribly confused.

So what did the disciples do? I can see them standing, looking into the sky, trying to make sense of something that they weren’t capable of understanding. And here we are today, over two thousand years later, and we still don’t understand all there is to know about that event, even though we  have the New Testament to tell us all about it. So how could they possibly understand it in the middle of their experience?

There are times when I stand still and look into the sky amazed or shocked. I stand amazed at how God works in particular incidents, and often I’m shocked by some tragic event. Then God speaks to me through His Word and says to me, “Why do you stand here looking into the sky?” It’s time to get moving, it’s time to be doing something. So where are we to go, and what are we to do? We have the answer to this in the last thing Jesus told us to do. For the disciples, that was go to Jerusalem and wait there for the Holy Spirit. I can’t answer that question for anyone but myself. When I’m shocked, I can hardly answer it for myself: What was the last thing Jesus told me to do? That is what I must do, and that is what I will do. The name of this book is Acts for a reason. It’s what the apostles, and us who know Jesus, do with this knowledge; The disciples did what Jesus told them to do and their lives and the world was turned upside down.

What about you? Are you still stuck in the middle of tragedy? What was the last thing Jesus told you to do? Are you doing it?

Something to think about on this beautiful day we have been given.

Shalom, until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on August 27, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

22 responses to “He Left Right Before Their Very Eyes !!!!!!

1. jesusmyjoy

August 27, 2014 at 4:44 am

amen

2. Karen Pickering

August 27, 2014 at 6:56 am

Wonderful reminder. I’m looking for his return, but need to be occupied in the mean time. Thank you, Levi.

3. wingedprisms

August 27, 2014 at 7:27 am

Levi – thank you for this today.
    This struck me – “What about you? Are you still stuck in the middle of tragedy? What was the last thing Jesus told you to do? Are you doing it?”
    I tend not to do – it’s been bugging me the last couple days – I really need to get up and do what He has told me.
    Thank you again. 😀
    cate

August 27, 2014 at 8:24 am

My pleasure, Cate. Get up and have a great day!!!😀😀😀

4. atimetoshare

August 27, 2014 at 9:29 am

I often tell my young actors that acting is doing. We can’t get the work done unless we put ourselves into action. Thanks for your message today as always!

5. donna213

August 27, 2014 at 9:52 am

I wish to be so lucky to have a word with the Lord. I too look spellbound skyway very often. It is not to ask a question, but to give thanks to all that is created. I marvel at what is around us, to me it is like Heaven on Earth. Too bad most don’t think this way, or we would have a much cleaner, more cherished home.

August 27, 2014 at 10:02 am

Good morning, Donna. As beautiful as this earth is, we ain’t seen nothing yet. We are told that for eternity we will live on a new earth. Because of sin, this world, as we both know, is corrupted. On the new one it will be like it was in the very beginning. It will be great!!

August 27, 2014 at 10:17 am

Thanks for the prod, Levi. lol I’m doing, I’m doing.

7. beverley

August 27, 2014 at 12:08 pm

when something like this happens there are days when all you can do is look at the sky, but in time the healing, no one can hurry it you just have to let it be, then out of the darkness comes light and His grace.

August 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm

You said it as good as it can be said. Thanks!!!😀

8. Semilla Barcelona

August 27, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I always be touched by Acts 1:4 and 1:8 In Acts 1:4 there is command to the disciples: “to wait” and a promise. “the Holy Spirit” Before the Lord was taken up he said powerful words to them (Acts 1:9) “you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me”. He does not send us naked, he goes within us to share the good news for those who repent and bad news for those who reject the True. It is a privilege to be a witness of Jesus. Those fishermen obeyed and turned upside down the world, and Paul even was accused of being a plague (Acts 24:5) ( and a plague spread very fast over Asia and Europe) … Oh Lord give us the privilege to turn upside-down this word like a plague as the apostles did.

I was following your blog from Barcelona (Spain). God Bless you !

August 27, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Thank you for the wonderful comment. Oh, that He would use us to turn the world upside down again. When, and if He decides, it will happen.

May God bless you in Spain!!

9. Cynthia Reyes

August 27, 2014 at 6:31 pm

This post is one of my most favorite, Levi. Beautiful, thoughtful, meaningful and honest.

August 27, 2014 at 6:34 pm

You are very kind, Cynthia. I loved yours today as well. It was fun!!! I could never have been as ornery as you!!! Lol. You were an angel compared to me.

10. Debbie

August 28, 2014 at 12:41 am

I loved this too, Levi! So encouraging to know that there is something that we can do . . .whatever He told us to do last! God bless you as you look up and walk out!