How Are We Supposed To Lead ??????

28 Aug

Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey away. And when they had entered, they went up to the upper room, where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot and Judas the son of James. All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.

In those days Peter stood up among the brothers (the company of persons was in all about 120) and said, “Brothers, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus. For he was numbered among us and was allotted his share in this ministry.” (Now this man acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness, and falling headlong he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out. And it became known to all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the field was called in their own language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) “For it is written in the Book of Psalms,

“‘May his camp become desolate,
and let there be no one to dwell in it’;

and

“‘Let another take his office.’

So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us—one of these men must become with us a witness to his resurrection.”

(Acts 1:12-22 ESV)

This passage seems to indicate that Peter was the one chosen by Jesus to be the leader of the disciples, and so we see him take his place (“In those days, Peter stood up among the believers.”). I want you to see how Peter led: He started with them all meeting together again; they also started to pray again; also they went back to Scripture and focused on Jesus; and lastly, they remembered His example. The proper type of leadership always starts with the basics. This is an absolutely essential ingredient. Before any person, or company, can start to be creative you must put the basics in place. Why is this so? Because the next step is evident when the focus is on the Lord and not on the situation. We like to focus on minor issues. Notice that I didn’t say Peter focused on the solution. Peter didn’t have it all worked out. I’m sure that the disciples must have been overwhelmed.

Most people think the leader can fix all the problems. I’m pretty sure the disciples were wondering what Peter was going to do about the persecution by the Jews? Were they going to start a political group or start their own army? Peter didn’t even say a word about all of the issues facing them. Instead, he put his focus on fellowship and worship, and praying together and studying Scripture to get the insight they needed to face what was happening right then. He was focusing on Jesus as The Pattern. So, what was their next step to be? It was to fill the empty spot of the 12th apostle. He found the Scripture for the current situation and acted upon it.

Now, many will probably say, wait a minute, what what about all the other problems they were facing? Really, all the other stuff doesn’t matter too much. The decision we need to look at was recorded for us almost 2,000 years ago. We can say that Peter listened to the Lord and he did first things first, and he dealt with the right problem at the right time. The same is true for us in our own lives. Difficulties can come at us fast and hard sometimes. These problems make us search for the answer. So, what do we do?

Do you have a hard decision you are facing today? Do you know what should you do about it? I think the answer is simple, we need to follow Peter’s example. And what was Peter’s example? It was Jesus. If you follow this model your next step will be very clear!

Shalom,

Until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on August 28, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

35 responses to “How Are We Supposed To Lead ??????

1. wisediscerner

August 28, 2014 at 5:52 am

I too believe like Peter, that we should look to the Lord and seek what is best for ALL things. It is in trusting Him that we find a greater fulfillment in our daily walk anyway. Thank for sharing this, it’s a good reminder to keep looking up! May God bless you and continue using you for His glory!

2. Garden Walk Garden Talk

August 28, 2014 at 5:58 am

I think what he did rather than look for solutions was to set in motions the actions to come. I think good leaders do that. They allow those around them to BE the progress to come.

• wisediscerner

August 28, 2014 at 6:23 am

Good point….

3. Linda Arthur Tejera

August 28, 2014 at 7:09 am

Leadership – Matthew 23:11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. I also like: teach them correct principles and they govern themselves. And in direct answer to your question what do we do when facing hard decisions — I’ve finally learned there is only one thing I can do. Study my scriptures, pray and then rely on the Lord for the answer. Just some thoughts that popped into my head while reading your post! 🙂

August 28, 2014 at 8:03 am

You’re thoughts are good ones, Linda! You have a wonderful day!!!😃

4. Heather

August 28, 2014 at 7:24 am

I’ve always heard we should seek Jesus instead of seeking the solution to our problems and oftentimes the solution will present itself. Thanks for the uplifting words today Levi! : )

August 28, 2014 at 7:36 am

My pleasure, Heather. I hope you are much better now!!! 🙂

• Heather

August 28, 2014 at 8:54 am

I’m going towards 90% well now! Back on my feet walking (without a limp! Yay!) But keeping the workouts tabled until at least next week. Hope you are well!

August 28, 2014 at 8:57 am

I’m good and thankful you’re much better. Have a good one!! 🙂

5. DJ Mynatt

August 28, 2014 at 7:29 am

Great post, Levi. Acts is one of my favorite books, because it shows how anyone who is willing to be led by the Holy Spirit can do mighty things!

6. Lilka Raphael

August 28, 2014 at 7:37 am

Thank you for those wise words!

7. Julie Harris

August 28, 2014 at 7:46 am

I got teary-eyed reading your post-…His words and your words have encouraged me today. Thank you 🙂

August 28, 2014 at 7:57 am

I’m glad Julie that you were blessed. Have a wonderful day!😀

8. Anna

August 28, 2014 at 10:20 am

Thanks for sharing Levi. I’ve always looked at Peter and his history as a great example of God’s love for His people. It was Peter who denied Jesus three times, yet Peter was forgiven and changed to become a great disciple of Jesus. It is comforting to know we also can be forgiven and make the wonderful choice to believe and serve. 🙂

August 28, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Haven’t had the chance to read this yet today but was scanning my emails and your title caught my eye. Going to take time to read it thoroughly when I get home later this afternoon or evening. One of the men at church gave a series on consecutive Wednesday evenings regarding leadership that went over very well. I can’t wait to see what you have to say about it as well!

August 28, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Oh, thanks for reading it when you get the chance. It’s just a devotional in Acts. Hope your day is going well. Be careful!! 😀

• Elaine

August 28, 2014 at 11:03 pm

My day was great, thanks! I just got to read this post and enjoyed it very much. Im currently trying to get through the book of Acts right now in my reading. I love the wisdom in your post and Peter’s brand of leadership. Thanks for the wonderful explanation of it! The man at church who did the series on leadership at our bible study on Wednesday evenings talked a lot about the characteristic of a good leader and the difficulties of being a leader for many different reasons. Peter definitely new the concept of being a leader and was able to handle the difficulties, and taught well by example. Have a great Friday and a wonderful holiday weekend!

August 29, 2014 at 6:13 am

Thanks, Elaine. Acts is a great book to know inside out. So much in it. I hope your Long weekend is a wonderful one as well.

10. mzpresser

August 28, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Just the post I needed to read, and the confirmation I needed thank you holy spirit 🙂

11. K. Q. Duane

August 28, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I hear that the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City dropped their lawsuit against a group of witches, who desecrated a church, and that their “black mass” has been approved by the city administration and will now take place at the Civic Center in Oklahoma City! Apparently there’s a huge outcry against this event, which is scheduled for Sept 21st. Knowing how you lead, I can’t imagine that you are not involved in the protest to stop this outrage. I pray for the cancelation of this evil, despicable, anti-Christian event.

August 28, 2014 at 9:09 pm

It is despicable and I’m speaking with Congressman Bridenstine about it. He is around our area a lot and is very approachable. Senator Inhoffe doesn’t come home so much anymore. Oklahoma appears to be going the way of the rest of the liberals a little at a time.

• K. Q. Duane

August 28, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Then all the Oklahoma Christians need to get LOUDER, or you will soon become no different than sick NJ. I will pray your voice will be as loud as C H Spurgeon’s. Good luck and God bless.

August 28, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Thank you. The slide is really in its infancy at this point, but the snowball effect can happen very quickly.

• K. Q. Duane

August 28, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Absolutely. NJ went over the cliff in just 20 years.

12. Skye

August 30, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I was just asked to lead the youth group for our middle school at church. This post is exactly what I needed to read. I love how you laid out what a leader needs to do to lead. Again, printing this out and will be referring to it often…especially over the next few weeks. Thank you, Dear Levi!

August 30, 2014 at 4:32 pm

What a compliment to you to be asked. You know what, it doesn’t surprise me in the least. You will give them nuggets of God’s Word every Sunday. Good for you. What a blessing you are!!!😀😀😀