Did The Apostle Paul Need Encouraged ??????

03 Sep

Did the great apostle Paul struggle like we do? If you read Romans 7 you will have to conclude that he did because Paul was a fallen man like you and I.  When we read of the mighty apostle we oftentimes think of him as almost perfect. Besides Christ, Who is God and is Perfection, Paul stands out in my mind as the most Christ-like of all, but yet he still struggled.

I made myself a note for a future post when reading in Acts 18. In verses 9-10 Luke wrote: “And the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent,for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.”

Paul had just come from Atens to Corinth. As was his custom, he preached every Sabbath in the synagogue trying to persuade Jews and Gentiles to come to Jesus. In the prior verses we see how his word was rejected by the Jews and that they reviled and opposed him. After leaving them we see God at work. He lodged at the home of a Justus Titius, a worshiper of God as he is described. And where did Justin just happen to live? Right next door to the synagogue.

Not a lot is told us about verse 8, but Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed in The Lord Jesus, and his entire household. We are told that because of this many Corinthians believed and were baptized.

The Lord promised Paul that He would protect him from those that rejected his message. Paul was also encouraged by God telling him that there were many in Corinth who would believe. In fact, I love the language used, “for I have many in this city who ARE my people” (vs.9b).

Paul needed encouragement just like we do. The Gospel message is always a divider…. There are always those who will accept, and those who will reject the message. This shouldn’t frighten us or discourage us; it is God who goes before us. He has prepared a people among us all, wherever we may be, who want to hear the Message. You’ll never know until you share it.

Are you afraid to share Jesus when the opportunity arises? Don’t be!!

Shalom, until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on September 3, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

18 responses to “Did The Apostle Paul Need Encouraged ??????

1. mzpresser

September 3, 2014 at 5:04 am

Such a word for me!!!

September 3, 2014 at 5:09 am

Now that is gentle! 🙂

3. Anonymous

September 3, 2014 at 7:12 am

“for I have many in this city who are my people” – When discouragement sets in I need to be reminded that I are not alone in the struggle. God is with me and he has other godly people near me. Thank you for the reminder.

4. DJ Mynatt

September 3, 2014 at 8:27 am

I admit I am… but I’m working diligently to overcome my shyness and do better.

September 3, 2014 at 8:46 am

You can do it!! Pray for a l

September 3, 2014 at 8:47 am

Sorry, I hit the wrong button. Pray for some boldness. Remember, you don’t have to preach but just share while in conversation. Have a great day!!😀

5. jacqui

September 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

Great post! I draw great encouragement from Paul and what a task the Lord gave him. I love the verse when Paul spoke of his thorn in the flesh, what it is we do not know, we don’t have to know we all have it and jesus said ‘My Grace is sufficient unto thee’. Like us today we never know what our works for Christ will spin off into others for their good. By works I mean faith and deeds together not works on their own. It also reminded me of when Elijah thought he was the only one left and the Lord said that 700 hadn’t bowed the knee to Baal. Great post loved it ! Blessings jacqui x

September 3, 2014 at 10:49 am

Thanks Jacqui. Always we need to remember what you pointed out. I often think of Elijah and he thinking he was the only one. Lord bless you, Sis! Shalom!!!

6. kstrick7

September 3, 2014 at 11:14 am

My Daddy is a preacher. When asked how he deals with defeat of people not accepting the gospel, he passed along some wise words that a fellow preacher told him once. He said,”If folks would not accept Jesus Christ, Himself, while He was on earth preaching the gospel, why would I think folks are always going to listen to me?”

September 3, 2014 at 11:18 am

Exactly right. Our only task is too share. It’s the Holy Spirit’s job to convict and draw the person to Jesus. Thanks!

7. Linda Arthur Tejera

September 3, 2014 at 3:42 pm

The apostles were human, ergo they struggled! 🙂 Lovely post, Levi!

8. theoldadam

September 4, 2014 at 1:04 am

A very encouraging post!

Thanks, much!

September 4, 2014 at 5:30 am

My pleasure, and thank you for your daily work. It’s wonderful!!!

9. mzpresser

September 4, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Yes we need to pray! Let’s start a movement of fervent prayer!

September 5, 2014 at 6:07 pm

A good reminder that Paul was human…a good reminder that we have much to be encouraged to do the work of an evangelist in Christ and through the Spirit

September 5, 2014 at 6:08 pm

It encourages me for sure! Hope you’re doing well, SJ!!