No Competition?????

18 Sep

Heroes, idols, favorites, whatever you would like to call them? Many have at least a person or two that they almost idolize. It may be an actor or actress, sports player, Nascar driver, pastor of a large church, bull rider , huge blogger, and the list could go on and on. Most of the time the popularity is based upon performance.

I have always been a fairly competitive person. In whatever I have done, or do, I always put in my best effort. My biggest competition is typically against myself.

Easter Day all of the family was here at the farm after church for good food, fellowship, and fun. Two of my teenage grandsons are in track at the local middle school. My youngest son (who isn’t that young anymore) was talking to them about running. He works out and is in good physical shape and he felt the urge to challenge them to a foot race.

The boundary was set and and I counted them down and away they went! First to the finish line was the smallest, and youngest of the two grandsons, followed closely by my son. I felt like it was a good showing for him.

When they came to the patio I told them I thought I could beat all of them. They looked at each other, smiled and said they were all up for the challenge. I’m sure they were thinking “now I can get the ole man”. They don’t know it, but I really didn’t think I could beat them at all. An additional 50 years is not always an advantage.

They all prepared for the race; some changing from pants to shorts and different shoes. They stretched and paced waiting to take me on. I went into my closet to take off my boots and put on tennis shoes. I was really prepared!

We walked to the starting point, lined up, counted down, and off we went! Needless to say, I gave it all I had but was smoked by the young bunch. The order was the same as the previous race, with me in dead last place. My breathing wasn’t labored, but I’m just not as fast as I used to be. They did beat their Poppie.

I was thinking about this in light of our faith and the makeup of Christ’s church. Fortunately, there Should Not be competition within it. But unfortunately, there is. When Christ saved us, we were all in the same wretched lost condition. We had no hope, no merit, no works good enough for us to perform in order to attain salvation. Only Christ and His work could ever make us righteous in God’s sight. It is a gift freely given to all that believe in Him.

Our individual place in the church has also been gifted to us. Each member of Christ’s church has been likened to a member of our own physical bodies (I Cor. 12, Eph. 4:11-16). One member is a hand, another a foot, another an eye, etc, until the whole body is complete. Christ is The Head, much to the surprise of many church leaders. There is not a “whole” human body that lacks any members; likewise, the church does not function properly if we are not exercising the spiritual gift that Christ has given each us. We all have our own particular place within it, whether we know it or not.

There is to be no competition with the other members as to the importance of our gift(s). Each is as important as the other. We are to do it all for the glory of God and the building up of Christ’s church!!!

I love Ephesians 4:16: “from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love”. The objective of it all is that we may be built up “in love”. What a gracious loving Father we have!

A little food for thought on this gorgeous day.

Shalom, until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on September 18, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , ,

47 responses to “No Competition?????

1. culturemonk

April 25, 2014 at 6:48 am

“there is to be no competition with the other members as to the importance of our gifts”

I totally agree… but sadly, throughout the history of the church there always has been 😦

April 25, 2014 at 7:43 am

There always has since the disciples it seems. I’m sure it will not change.

April 25, 2014 at 8:12 am

What a sobering reminder. “Christ is The Head, much to the surprise of many church leaders.” You win this one Levi!!

3. Delon Vaz

April 25, 2014 at 9:24 am

“My biggest competition is typically against myself.”
    — How often this is true. If we see God working through us in a certain way, we compare that experience with our next experience and end up competing with ourselves, without hardly ever entrusting the results into God’s hands. Needless to say it gets even bitter if we compare others experiences with ours. I bring to mind Paul’s exhortation in 2 Corinthians 10:12.

April 25, 2014 at 9:36 am

It’s true. I am my own biggest competitor. Thanks for your comment and verse. Have a great day!!!

April 25, 2014 at 10:13 am

I’ve run into some of those that have forgotten who is the Head of the church. Sad indeed.

April 25, 2014 at 10:18 am

Sue, it is the norm I believe. It is sad. There is a YouTube video of a pastor in a nearby town to me who did and said some things that is hard to believe. Have a great day!!!

5. Kelly Grace

April 25, 2014 at 11:46 am

Let’s see who can love the most and brag the least!

April 25, 2014 at 12:01 pm

That would be wonderful. Heaven is probably the only place we will experience that but I can start with myself. Have a great weekens Kelly!!!

6. "light and salt"

April 25, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Reblogged this on "light and salt" and commented:
    Levi is a wonderful and knowledgeable man of God’s word. Please enjoy his story!

April 25, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Great food for thought Levi! Good encouragement also who feel they have nothing to offer because they can’t do as much as other people for various reasons. Eachbthing done,whether it be large or small is important to help the body work well.

April 25, 2014 at 2:52 pm

It is actually essential for even the very small things to be done to work properly. Have a great weekend young lady!!!!!

• Elaine

April 25, 2014 at 3:03 pm

And you do the same! Smiling at the young lady comment. 🙂

April 25, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Oops left out a couple of words. Second sentence should begin good encouragement also “for those” who feel…..

9. Moore to ponder

April 25, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I am curious about something. In this post are you referring to local churches, or to what some people call ‘The Family of God’? The reason I am asking that question is because I have very dear friends who are Christian bloggers that I have never met face to face. Some are scholarly, and able to explain many Biblical principals, such as yourself. Others might have blogs that focus more helping believers who might share a specific type of struggle, and still others might be all about praise. I am so thankful that I can in a sense assemble with my Christian blogging friends.

Blessings,
    Theresa

April 26, 2014 at 6:41 am

Hello Theresa, our spiritual gifts typically referred to here are for the building up of Christ church both local and universal I think. When Peter and Paul taught on the subject it was to a particular group of people, Corinth, Ephesus, scattered believers, etc. the principal could apply beyond the walls or body of a local church. Does this help you?

10. Jason Whittington

April 25, 2014 at 11:55 pm

What a profound sentence you typed about our place in the body of Christ being “gifted” to us. I’ll be chewing on that for a little while. Great post.

April 26, 2014 at 6:43 am

Hello Jason. This is a major teaching for the church but you don’t hear much of it today. The NT speaks of it in a few passages. If you would like more info let me know. Have a great weekend!!!!

11. demilhadey

April 26, 2014 at 10:48 am

Our gifts were given to us so we can help each other grow, not go solo…..We thank for God reminding us of this through people like you. 🙂

April 26, 2014 at 11:54 am

You’re most welcome and so right. Have a great weekend!!!

12. K. Q. Duane

April 26, 2014 at 2:52 pm

It’s too bad we have to explain this to the current crop of young people. This premise was never questioned before radical feminism stuck it’s nose into everything and caused men to explain, and justify everything, they’d been doing successfully for centuries.

April 26, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Great truth. We’re not in a competition with one another, but we need each other as organs need one another in a living body

April 26, 2014 at 5:25 pm

So right!! I pray that you have great services tomorrow SJ.

14. Dustin John

June 11, 2014 at 3:40 am

Thank you for supporting my blog. You have a very intriguing blog. The world could definately use a few less idols. Bring the idols down and raise ourselves up. Thanks again.

June 11, 2014 at 6:23 am

The pleasure is mine. Let’s bring the false idols down!!

15. InfiniteZip

September 18, 2014 at 4:29 am

You’re winning the race with your daily messages my friend:) thanks for being you dear Levi 🙂

September 18, 2014 at 6:17 am

Good morning,Kim! Thank you for your kind words! You do a very fine job everyday yourself. Have a great and wonderful day!!!😀

16. mzpresser

September 18, 2014 at 4:45 am

What a word, I was just thinking about this last night when I was serving. I fit so perfectly into family ministry and I was thinking how grateful I was for the way my church leaders from family ministry value us little people who are running after 2 year olds!

September 18, 2014 at 8:17 am

You’re blessed it sounds. Thank The Lord!

• mzpresser

September 18, 2014 at 10:59 am

17. kcg1974

September 18, 2014 at 7:56 am

Always such a good message from you. Levi. Wonderful Post!

18. Michael

September 18, 2014 at 8:30 am

Family time is so special, and I enjoyed reading about yours. My two nephews still eye me competitively, whether it’s racing or wrestling, especially. I think I’ve still got it!

I really loved how you applied the story. God has given each of us something to contribute to his work. I remember when I became settled in that fact, when I learned that my talents and ministry weren’t supposed to match everyone else’s. In fact, there shouldn’t be much matching in diversity. Even if we have similar ministries, the way we perform them is unique to the individuals. And differences are to be celebrated. Can you tell I really enjoyed this? 😀 Blessings!

September 18, 2014 at 8:38 am

I’m glad you did, Michael, my dear brother. We all bring a little different flavor to even the same ministry. I think that’s why I’ve been received in NY, because I’m way different from the norm here, but in a respectful way. Lord bless you!!!😀

19. Skye

September 18, 2014 at 9:43 am

Wonderful food for thought, as always, Dear Levi!! 🙂

September 18, 2014 at 11:16 am

Thank you, Dear Girl! Hope you’re doing well?

20. Linda Arthur Tejera

September 18, 2014 at 3:29 pm

A beautiful post and one that we should all take to heart! 🙂

21. Lilka Raphael

September 18, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Wonderful words of wisdom there! 🙂

September 18, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Thank you, Lilka. Hope all is well at your place! 🙂

• Lilka Raphael

September 18, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Yes Levi, we are well. Hubby, boys, dog and too many cats! Take care 🙂

22. T

September 18, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I agree. So cool you had a race with the grand kids, It doesn’t matter if you won or not, you did it and I am sure they loved that you raced with them. All different ages of people doing the same thing at their own pace..together. What great fun and memories you all made that day 🙂

September 18, 2014 at 8:46 pm

It was a fun time. Its funny to watch the teenage boys because they still have something to prove they think. We are a lively bunch so its always a lot of fun. With 15 grand children there aren’t many dull moments. 🙂