My Last Day In New York This Month !!!!!!

19 Sep

Today is my last day in New York this month. I will be returning each month indefinitely. I suppose it seems shorter this time, because except for the past 3 weeks at home, I have been here for the prior 2 1/2 months. A lot has happened and I am starting to have a pretty regular rhythm. New York is fast paced and I’ve acclimated to it very well. It is the complete opposite of the country life which I also enjoy at home. I am really a very blessed guy to be able to share in both.

My week has been varied. On Monday there was a staff meeting which took the first half of the day. The main objective for this week was to make visits and to get into conversations with unsaved Jewish people. Both happened.

On Tuesday I was part of the team that set up a table at Hofstra University on Long Island. It has a large student body with about 60% of them being Jewish. The Long Island resident missionary, Susan Mendelson, had been trying vigilantly over time to be able to set up at the university, but when they found out it was Jews For Jesus it never seemed to get approved. Suddenly, the approval came. It was an answer to prayer. We were the first to set up in the common area, and as soon as we did our neighbors were Hillel and Chabad which are both Jewish groups. They honestly didn’t care for us being there much at all. It seems their eyes never stopped watching us,  which was fine.

A group of orthodox young men that were “investigating” various religions were quite open and before the conversation was over a gentleman with Chabad came over to invite them to Rosh Hashanah ( Jewish New Year ) next week. We are also having two of them in the area, but it will have a totally different message. Not one of mitzvahs ( keeping the 613 commandments ) which is not possible for us to keep perfectly, but our message will be that Yeshua ( Jesus ) successfully kept the law and became the substitute for sinners. Both messages are diametrically opposed to one another. It is law versus grace. Grace triumphs every time, and will in the end.

hofstra univ

The rest of the week I accompanied a NYC veteran missionary, Stewart Weinisch, on visits to Jewish men that he had recently led to The Lord. It was a real blessing to hear their testimonies to answer Bible questions they had. I hit the streets when time allowed by myself and engaged 3 different conversations and invited them to the Rosh Hashanah service here in Manhattan and gave them contact information. Our job is to plant the seed and The Holy Spirit does the rest. That’s what I love about the great commission; we are to proclaim the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus and the rest is His work.

I was invited to the Weinisch’s home one evening for a great dinner and fellowship, and attended a send off party last night for a long-time employee who is moving to Pa.

When in Manhattan, there are 2 things that I don’t tire of, and those are the long walks in the City and the wonderful food. I always have the best pastrami sandwich and matzo ball soup at Sarge’s Deli. I can’t even eat a whole sandwich so I order a half since they’re so thick.

matzo ball

pastrami

It was a great week and am thankful to be a part of the NYC office even though it is a long way from home. I will finish today on the streets seeing who The Lord opens up for me to speak with. In the least, I will plant some more seeds by handing out our great tracts. You can usually hand out 300 or so in an hour or so in the busy part of the day.

Shalom, until next time, Lord willing,

Posted by on September 19, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, hope, Life, Love, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

50 responses to “My Last Day In New York This Month !!!!!!

1. mzpresser

September 19, 2014 at 4:26 am

I feel like I’m right there with you!!!

Liked by 2 people

September 19, 2014 at 6:16 am

Good! Wished you were!!!!!!😀

• mzpresser

September 19, 2014 at 8:08 am

When I saw the pictures something stirred in my heart. I cry out for my people.

September 19, 2014 at 9:13 am

That’s music to God’s ears (and mine too). He will open up your opportunity in His time.

2. Skye

September 19, 2014 at 4:31 am

What a wonderful work you are doing for the Kingdom. Wish I was back home visiting now, would have loved to have bopped over to Hofstra to meet you in person. I am praying your tracts and meetings will touch and change many lives, Dear Levi. Great post, as always.

Liked by 4 people

September 19, 2014 at 6:15 am

Thank you Skye. I never know who I may run into. I have met some people who live near me on the streets. Have a great weekend. I hope you’re feeling better!!! 🙂

• Skye

September 19, 2014 at 6:21 am

I am definitely feeling much improved! God has been so faithful, and I am doing my part. Thank you for caring!! 🙂 It is appreciated more than you know.

September 19, 2014 at 6:24 am

I do young lady. Keep your spirit up and forget the self-doubt. I know easier said than done but Jesus is a sufficiency!!

Liked by 2 people

3. 66assuranceway

September 19, 2014 at 5:59 am

Quite interesting Levi. FYI: I grew up in New York suburbs . . . in Great Neck (a predominantly Jewish town on North Shore of LI) and received my MBA from Hofstra in Central Long Island.

Liked by 2 people

4. tellthetruth1

September 19, 2014 at 6:44 am

What a blessing. What a bonus! And I lurve the munchies, too 😉

September 19, 2014 at 6:47 am

It’s all good. The Lord is good and gracious!!!!! Have a great day!!!

5. wingedprisms

September 19, 2014 at 6:58 am

Wonderful Levi! We were blessed many years go to experience some of Jews for Jesus events. Always loved what they do. Goad for you to be involved and…… I just love NY. and the food there is amazing!
    cate

September 19, 2014 at 7:04 am

It’s neat work Cate wonderful when a Jewish persons eyes are opened. As you know, they are a peculiar people and it’s a real blessing to be involved with the ministry. Have a great weekend!!!

6. atimetoshare

September 19, 2014 at 7:10 am

God is not only blessing you through this experience, Levi. He is opening doors through you. I thank Him for you.

September 19, 2014 at 7:14 am

Thanks, Kathy. It’s ironic that of all the places in the country where Jews For Jesus is I ended up in NY. Right where I should be but if you judge by background only it wouldn’t be here. God knows best!!! Btw, any news? You can message me if you wish to.

7. jameslantern

September 19, 2014 at 7:51 am

haha i see you levi

8. Heather

September 19, 2014 at 7:53 am

It’s so funny where God leads us sometimes, but we know it’s right where we’re supposed to be even if we never would have dreamed it! Sounds like you’re taking to the city just fine! Be safe out there and keep sharing those yummy food pics! haha!

September 19, 2014 at 7:55 am

The City fits me really well for ministry. It’s perfect actually. If I were younger we would move here. As for the food, the pics shall continue. I get hungry often!!! Lol

September 19, 2014 at 10:44 am

Praise God for all the seeds, Levi. It’s good that you can also have time to wander the streets and all that good food is going to start showing up around that waist. 🙂 Have a safe trip home to the quiet fields of Ok.

September 19, 2014 at 10:52 am

Thanks Sue. Since coming to NY I’ve taken 2″ off my waist but no weight loss. All of the walking. I haven’t been a 34 for 15-20 years. Lol

Liked by 2 people

September 19, 2014 at 11:01 am

Great work you are doing there Levi! Glad you are enjoying it. And that sandwich! one of my favorites. lol

11. Karyl

September 19, 2014 at 11:11 am

I’ve heard of Jews for Jesus. Is it about Jews that have become Christians? Were you raised Jewish?

September 19, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Hey, Karyl. Jews For Jesus are Jews who trust in Jesus as their Messiah and Savior. I was not raised Jewish but have had a burden for them for almost 40 years.

• Karyl

September 19, 2014 at 2:32 pm

When you say you have had a burden for them, what do you mean? I’m a little confused. Are you Jewish? Thanks for explaining! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

September 19, 2014 at 3:00 pm

No, To my knowledge I am not Jewish. There does remain a question of it and have sent in a DNA test and will know within a few weeks. If I am, it will change nothing though. When I say I have had a burden for them, I mean that I have a love for them as a people and I desire for them to be saved. My main emphasis of has been to share the Gospel with as many Jewish people as I can. God calls some people to a particular people and for me it is the Jewish people. Does that help?

Liked by 2 people

• Karyl

September 19, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for your patience. I think I’ve always been a little confused about what Jews for Jesus is but you’ve made it clearer. Yes, I do think we are all drawn to call a particular people to God. Thank you Levi. 🙂

• Karyl

September 19, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Also, you’ve got me thinking about my b own ministry/vocation. Right now my biggest ministries are wife and mother. Then there is my music ministry as a choir member. I feel myself called to minister to those who are lost in the ways I used to be: new age, rebellious, wild….

September 19, 2014 at 6:35 pm

And you would be the perfect one to be able to identify, and them with you. It would be perfect for you if that is the way the Lord is leading you.

• Karyl

September 19, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Thank you. Sometimes you wonder why you went through certain things and then you see that good can come from it! Good knows what He’s doing and he wastes nothing! Praise the Lord!

Liked by 2 people

12. Michael

September 19, 2014 at 11:36 am

Levi, I knew you were traveling and all; but somehow I dissociated you being in New York, not sure why. Anyhoo, it’s great to see you so engaged in ministry. I’ve been praying for you. Those long walks sound great! I loved that when I went abroad. I’ve been to NY once for a conference; however, I didn’t get any time to tour. And that sandwich looks fabulous!

September 19, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Its all good here in NY, Michael. The walks, the food, but particularly the people. No other place I would rather minister. The people are open to conversation openly more so than in the Bible Belt. Its much different than most think. The real difference is most know little to nothing about Jesus so theyre curious about it.

Liked by 2 people

13. The True Light!

September 19, 2014 at 11:45 am

Enjoy your posts, Levi! I am so glad you are helping the Jewish community find their Savior in Christ Jesus…

The True Light

September 19, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Thanks so much! Lord bless you!

• The True Light!

September 19, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I’ll be reading more of your work…

“TTL”

September 19, 2014 at 4:08 pm

👍😀

• The True Light!

September 20, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Great “emoticons!” Wish I had the ones here that I have on my email…oh well…

Bless you, Levi

“TTL”

September 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Thank you. I have different ones depending on which of the 4 devices I’m using. Lol. 👍🙏

• The True Light!

September 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Sounds like my email options!

The True Light

14. Old Things R New

September 19, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I love your enthusiasm!

September 19, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Thank you!!! I have to be enthused with all The Lord had done for me. Have a great weekend!!😀

September 20, 2014 at 2:37 am

Wow praise God for your outreach to the Jews! May the Lord use your effort to plant seeds!

16. a gentle iconoclast

September 24, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Aside from learning about the important things – your love and call to minister – I appreciated the sandwich picture. Now that is a sandwich. I grew up in Philly and that was a sandwich there from a real deli. When I first moved here to the Midwest, the way that sandwiches looked – kind of meagre – was a shock.
    God bless you, Levi! And Happy New Year!
    Maria

September 24, 2014 at 8:12 pm

And it was a great sandwich. I eat at least one every time I’m in NY which is now a week a month. The Grimaldi’s oven fired pizza is as wonderful. Lots of great food there. I’ll be in Philly next month too so lots of good food coming. Lol. Happy New Year to you Maria. Btw, right now we are in Portland, Or. The food here isn’t that special.

• a gentle iconoclast

September 24, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Well, after such food… !
        My favorites were lox and cream cheese, and corned beef special on rye. This was years ago. It was delicious. Makes me homesick, but… ! We are looking for the city whose maker and builder is God, a much better home, for forever!

September 24, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Maria, you are right. I was by no means trying to compare any place to Heaven. Nothing could ever compare to that City. I am thankful that God graces us with good things while we’re sojourning here. We are a blessed people. 🙂

• a gentle iconoclast

September 24, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Yes, we are a blessed people!
            I know you know there is no comparison with THE City – no matter how great some of the things are here, in places like NYC (lots of great people and sandwiches). I wanted to remember Philly without being homesick for it. Guess I was keeping my chin up by remembering what’s ahead.

17. Elouise

January 9, 2015 at 12:13 pm

I love the photos–especially the one of you! You are a missionary from the inside out. So glad I saw this post!
    Elouise