Deliverance From Dust and Chaff

23 Sep
Deliverance From Dust and Chaff

For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel among all sections, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth. (Amos 9:9)

The sifting process is going on still. Wherever we go, we are still being winnowed and sifted. In all countries God’s people are being tried “like as corn is sifted in a sieve.” Sometimes the devil holds the sieve and tosses us up and down at a great rate, with the earnest desire to get rid of us forever. Unbelief is not slow to agitate our heart and mind with its restless fears. The world lends a willing hand at the same process and shakes us to the right and to the left with great vigor. Worst of all, the church, so largely apostate as it is, comes in to give a more furious force to the sifting process.

Well, well! Let it go on. Thus is the chaff severed from the wheat. Thus is the wheat delivered from dust and chaff. And how great is the mercy which comes to us in the text, “Yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth”! All shall be preserved that is good, true, gracious. Not one of the least of believers lose anything worth calling a loss. We shall be so kept in the sifting that it shall be a real gain to us through Christ Jesus.

C.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Tags: , , , , ,

7 responses to “Deliverance From Dust and Chaff

1. wisediscerner

September 23, 2014 at 4:25 am

Reblogged this on Being an Obedient Servant and commented:
    This is good to know, that as believers’ in the Lord, we can [totally] rest in Him, while all around us may fall apart…..trust…..He’s got us safely under His wings.

2. Naomi

September 23, 2014 at 5:15 am

Levi, I love these sentences, they are so encouraging: “Not one of the least of believers lose anything worth calling a loss. We shall be so kept in the sifting that it shall be a real gain to us through Christ Jesus.”

I have been concerned recently to have works that will survive the fires of judgement at Christ’s return (1 Cor. 3:15). So much of what I do I know in my heart is tainted by selfishness and sin. Yet if I recall that God Himself helps us do good works (Ephesians 2:10) and works in us through the Holy Spirit, I feel comforted.

Thanks for this post, it was really helpful.

September 23, 2014 at 10:04 am

Naomi, thank you for the encouragement. I look forward to seeing your face each day because you are so encouraging and have such a passion for the Truth. Lord bless you. I’m praying for your family to be saved as you asked for yesterday. Enjoy you evening, I think?

• Naomi

September 23, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Yes it was evening when I wrote the message above. I think I’m about 1/2 day ahead of you, so it would be evening for you now on 23rd September (whereas it’s about 10:00am here in Australia).

Thanks so much for praying for my husband and family to be saved. When believing people petition the Lord great things happen.

Have a blessed evening.

September 23, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Naomi. I’ll continue praying for your family. Please pray for one of my daughters if you would. You’re a blessing to me. Thank you and Lord bless you!!!

3. Naomi

September 23, 2014 at 11:27 pm

I will surely continue to pray for your daughter Levi. Thank you for continuing to pray for my unsaved loved ones, especially my husband Luther. The Lord just brought this scripture to mind:

“For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”
    (Matthew 18:20)

4. Moore to ponder

September 23, 2014 at 11:40 pm

This really encouraged my heart! Thank you for sharing it.

Blessings,