So Long, Buddy !!!!!!

25 Sep

While in New York last week a local man named  Buddy was involved in an automobile accident. I knew nothing of it until I returned home and my brother called and told me. It seems that 2 days after the accident Buddy required some type of surgery and he died in the middle of it.

I have a long checkered past with Buddy which wasn’t always the best. His mother lived for years on the farm next to mine. She was a kind and very friendly neighbor with whom we got along very well. Buddy, on the other hand, had a problem with too much drink. From early morning until he went to sleep at night he was always nursing a beer. Too much alcohol can cause a person to do things they may not ordinarily do.
I have had items, including cattle, stolen from me by Buddy, but after confronting him we always remained on speaking terms. The last few years he and I have had talks with no tension between us at all. It’s very hard for me to hold grudges because life is just too short for that sort of thing. It has been a few months now since I last saw Buddy, except for driving down the road, and we always waved to one another.
I was told yesterday that only 3 days before the accident he stopped by a neighbor’s place about a mile from me and told them they wouldn’t be seeing him anymore. They asked if he was moving, and Buddy said no. It was his way of saying he was dying. I was told that they understood this to be the case as well. At the place where he stopped the gentleman is a deacon at the small local Baptist church. I can’t stop wondering if he shared the Gospel with Buddy. I plan on finding out when I return home from this trip just to satisfy my curiosity.
This incident reminds me again of taking every opportunity we have to share the Gospel with the lost. We never know when the last available time may be.
“Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”- yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:13-14)
Bye Buddy!
Something to think about on this beautiful Thursday.
Shalom, until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on September 25, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, hope, Inspiration, Life, Love, Religion

Tags: , , , , ,

29 responses to “So Long, Buddy !!!!!!

September 25, 2014 at 5:29 am

Sad thoughtful.

September 25, 2014 at 8:34 am

It is sad Paul. Times like this make me realize how short life is and to be about the Father’s business. Have a great rest of your day! 🙂

2. mzpresser

September 25, 2014 at 6:40 am

My heart is aching, God is speaking. These have been my thoughts over and over again. Our purpose, the reason why we live is to spread the gospel to everyone. I recently had several atheists join my blog and my heart aches for them, I worry for them. So I talk about my Jesus. Thanks for the post Levi 🙂

September 25, 2014 at 8:38 am

Melissa, we must always be about the work of sharing the Gospel whenever we have the opportunity. We never know when the last chance will be. You’re a loud mouthpiece for our Lord and am thankful for that. Have a great day!!!!! 🙂

• mzpresser

September 25, 2014 at 10:12 am

So are you!!!!!!! Love and light to you today and Happy New Year!!!

3. wingedprisms

September 25, 2014 at 6:59 am

So sorry Levi. But yes, thought provoking. We need to always focus on who we know and talk to….. because we just don’t know when….

September 25, 2014 at 8:39 am

So true, Cate. Thanks so much, as always! 🙂

September 25, 2014 at 7:41 am

Very sad. I pray he did come to know the Lord before he passed away. Very thought provoking post Levi!

September 25, 2014 at 8:41 am

It will make you stop and think about the importance of sharing the Lord. I hope he heard the message again before he died and responded.

5. The True Light!

September 25, 2014 at 11:20 am

A great story, Levi. The Lord will judge Buddy righteously, and may your memories of him always be pleasant!

The True Light

6. linda parvin hutchinson

September 25, 2014 at 11:45 am

Powerful story, Levi!

7. Deborah

September 25, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I hope Buddy accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior before he died. And yes you are correct, life is short and we must make sure we speak to those around us and all those placed in our path about Jesus.

September 25, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Hi Deborah. So true! We should make witnessing a part of our lives. I hope all is well with you.

• Deborah

September 25, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Yes amen, I agree. We have to make sure we step out of our little bubble and reach out to those who are lost. I am doing well. I’ve been traveling with my husband for ministry purposes so I haven’t been as active. But God has been good, no complaints here lol 🙂

September 25, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Good to hear. I’m spending at least a week a month in NY now so I have many new opportunities.

• Deborah

September 25, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Wow, that’s great! I hope you’re enjoying Nyc 🙂

September 25, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I actually love NYC. If I were younger I would move there. Lol

• Deborah

September 25, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Lol, funny. It is a very fast paced and crowded place. What do you love about Nyc?

September 25, 2014 at 9:50 pm

The energy, the people and the varieties of food. I really have the best of both worlds. I live on a farm in northern Ok. with peace and tranquility. I would move there mainly for ministry reasons. I love the people.

• Deborah

September 25, 2014 at 10:19 pm

That is true, Nyc is very diverse and has so much to do. I do find myself way more active in ministry once I moved back to New York; there are so many people to reach out to.
                  A farm? That’s my dream. I want to live on a farm with a bunch of animals in peace lol.

September 25, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Yes, that’s where we live with lots of animals. Lol. Right now my wife and I are in Oregon visiting our son and family.

• Deborah

September 25, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Cool! Must be great to be with all those animals haha 😀
                  Have a fun time visiting your family. Blessings! 🙂

September 25, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Thanks, Deborah. Sleep well!!!

• Deborah

September 25, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Amen, thank you.

September 26, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Wow a very sobering post; makes me realize we need to be more intentional in sharing the Gospel with the people around us. Have you shared to him before?

September 26, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Yes, I think sometimes we think more about people we don’t know instead of ones we have contact with, at least occasionally. Yes, I have shared with him in the past but had not seen him for several months. Our past was sketchy because he had stolen some of my cattle and some other things over the years. Probably 5 years ago or so we started talking some again. Unless the deacon witnessed to him I don’t think he probably was ever shared with again.

9. Cynthia Reyes

September 26, 2014 at 6:10 pm

An interesting story about an unusual relationship, Levi.

September 26, 2014 at 7:06 pm

It is indeed. The most unusual relationship maybe of my life. He was one unusual guy.