To Glorify Jesus !!!!!!

29 Sep
To Glorify Jesus !!!!!!

He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. (John 16:14)

The Holy Ghost Himself cannot better glorify the Lord Jesus than by showing to us Christ’s own things. Jesus is His own best commendation. There is no adorning Him except with his own gold.

The Comforter shows us that which He has received of our Lord Jesus. We never see anything aright till He reveals it. He has a way of opening our minds and of opening the Scriptures, and by this double process He sets forth our Lord to us. There is much art in setting forth a matter, and that art belongs in the highest degree to the Spirit of truth. He shows us the things themselves. This is a great privilege, as those know who have enjoyed the hallowed vision.

Let us seek the illumination of the Spirit; not to gratify our curiosity, nor even to bring us personal comfort, so much as to glorify the Lord Jesus. Oh, to have worthy ideas of Him! Groveling notions dishonor our precious Lord. Oh, to have such vivid impressions of His person, and work, and glory that we may with heart and soul cry out to His praise! Where there is a heart enriched by the Holy Ghost’s teaching there will be a Savior glorified beyond expression. Come, Holy Spirit, heavenly light, and show us Jesus our Lord!

C.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Posted by on September 29, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, hope, Inspiration, Life, Love, Religion

Tags: , , , , ,

12 responses to “To Glorify Jesus !!!!!!

1. realchange4u

September 29, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I just commented last night Levi that without the Holy Spirit we would not even be drawn to Jesus. Thank you Holy Spirit for drawing us even closer to our Lord . Great post Levi thanks for sharing with me.

September 29, 2014 at 5:50 pm

You are so right. Since spiritually we were “dead” we couldn’t come to Christ unless He drew us and gave us the life to come. This should make us ever so humble and grateful to Him for His grace. Thanks for reading. We have been traveling and were stuck in Chicago. Finally home. Thank the Lord!!

• realchange4u

September 29, 2014 at 6:51 pm

My God stuck on Chicago freeway. Heaven help us.

September 29, 2014 at 7:06 pm

No, O’Hare airport because of the sabotage there at the air traffic controllers.

2. Moore to ponder

September 29, 2014 at 11:54 pm

This is such a beautiful post! I loved this part:

“Oh, to have such vivid impressions of His person, and work, and glory that we may with heart and soul cry out to His praise! Where there is a heart enriched by the Holy Ghost’s teaching there will be a Savior glorified beyond expression. Come, Holy Spirit, heavenly light, and show us Jesus our Lord!”

Earlier this evening I was reading a writing of another very old author named Charles Henry Mackintosh. The topic was prayer, but he, too made mention of the natural response of a regenerated child of God. Here is a portion of what he said:

“The spirit of prayer is the spirit of the new man; the language of prayer is the distinct utterance of the new life. The moment a spiritual babe is born, into the new creation, it sends up a cry of helpless dependence toward the source of its birth. Who would dare to hush that cry? Let the babe be gently satisfied, not rudely silenced. The very cry which ignorance would seek to stifle, falls like sweetest music on a parent’s ear. It is the proof of life. It evidences the existence of a new object around which the affections of a parent’s heart may entwine themselves…”

Thank you for sharing this post.

Blessings,
    Theresa

3. Ruth

September 30, 2014 at 8:14 am

“There is no adorning Him except with His own gold.” Just awesome!

September 30, 2014 at 8:26 am

👍

• Moore to ponder

October 1, 2014 at 11:30 am

For some reason it looks like you tried to type a comment, but it is blank.

I hope you will have a great day anyway.

Blessings,
        Theresa

October 1, 2014 at 11:40 am

I did send a comment to you yesterday. It sounds like it didn’t make it through. When I have time later I will try to find it and resend. I haven’t had time to read your post yet either. Hope you’re doing fine, Theresa.

4. Moore to ponder

October 1, 2014 at 11:52 am

The Lord has been so gracious to me and my husband in so many ways. I want to acknowledge that. I have been under the weather for about 3 or 4 weeks with a cough. I think it might be getting a little better. I have been struggling with depression, and it has made it hard for me to blog. I appreciate your prayers.

October 1, 2014 at 11:54 am

Sorry to hear of your depression. I will be praying for you. 😀

5. Moore to ponder