It Cuts To the Heart !!!!!!

01 Oct

“Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing. For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at my right hand,
until I make your enemies your footstool.”’

Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”

Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

(Acts 2:29-37)

This is the way Scripture is – it “cuts to the heart” (verse 37). I use to think I was the one who needed to speak just the right words to witness effectively, as if my words were the main factor in someone’s decision to come to know Christ; but I have news for you, my words and your words don’t matter all that much.

If you look at our story, it appears Peter has done a great job of interpreting Scripture, as well as prophesy relating to the Messiah. His words are convincing and convicting, so it appears that it was Peter who led three thousand people to Christ that day, right? Wrong!!! Just the opposite is true. Peter was a fisherman, he wasn’t a scholar (like Paul), so where did he get the words? The answer is: he was fully surrendered to the power of the Spirit. The Word (Scripture) was in him and the Spirit was upon him – he was simply an instrument.

2 Timothy 3:16 tells us that “All Scripture is God breathed, and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.” Do you think a person has to be a believer before Scripture can “cut them to the heart”? The Word of God speaks to everyone no matter who they are or what they say they believe. Scripture cuts to the heart then asks the next question: “Brothers, what shall we do?”

Something to think about on this beautiful Wednesday.

Shalom, until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on October 1, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

20 responses to “It Cuts To the Heart !!!!!!

1. mzpresser

October 1, 2014 at 6:26 am

Wow, listen to God speaking!!! This is is amazing I also wrote about Acts 2 today. Listen to the spirit, He is here!!!!!!!!!!

2. realchange4u

October 1, 2014 at 6:39 am

That will preach Levi. Amen! I to have drawed the conclusion in my life by the direction of the Holy Spirit. That I have little to offer man. However Christ who dwells in me does. Let him speak with boldness. I loved every word.

Much love Tom

October 1, 2014 at 6:43 am

Thank you, Tom. Yes, we really like to think we are much more important than we really are. It is a pleasure that God uses any of us. Since He used a donkey then I guess He can use me or anyone else. Have a great day!!

3. Tom Sikes

October 1, 2014 at 8:17 am

Brother, I appreciate the reminder of how perishable our words are and how little we have to input into saving faith. Also the thought that of course, this does not diminish our duty/need or want to get out to do the thing Christ calls us out to do. We gotta go even when our words fall short. Thanks!

October 1, 2014 at 8:54 am

Good morning, Tom. Yes, this doesn’t negate our responsibility to share the Gospel but it’s the Word and the Spirit that does the saving work. Have a great day and thanks!!!

October 1, 2014 at 11:00 am

“but I have news for you, my words and your words don’t matter all that much.” DOH!! 🙂

What a lovely lovely piece Levi. “Feet on the ground” stuff.

5. Heather

October 1, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I always loved Acts 4:13 as it speaks to the fact that they were just ordinary men… kind of comforting to remember that. Our pastor gave a message on that exact verse from 2 Tim this weekend too– with collaboration from the verse that states the word of God is LIVING and active (because God breathed it into being just like us!) sharper than a two edged sword… I love how scriptures prove themselves and weave together the same uplifting messages over and over. : )

6. The True Light!

October 1, 2014 at 12:45 pm

This is very true and quite to the point of scripture! I have always said that our walk with the Lord is a “matter of the heart.” Our deeds are nothing, our faith is nothing, unless we are compelled by love to do our deeds because of our faith!

Only when we are moved in our soul by love for our Savior are we “right” with God…

TTL

7. Stacy Tolbert

October 2, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Witnessing is a scary thing. I am like Peter, uneducated, a blue-collar, work with my hands kind of guy. I can remember trying to witness using my limited knowledge and speech and I don’t believe that I was very effective at all. Then I started witnessing using nothing but the written word of God, and I have found through this experience that God’s word is truly enough. We don’t have to add to it or take nothing from it. God’s word will go forth to do exactly what He sends it forth to do. Being faithful and obedient in speaking God’s word is our only job, we have no need to worry about the results. Learning this fact has given me a stronger sence of courage and boldness to witness, the pressure is no longer on me. There is victory in the Word of God… HALLELUJAH…THANK YOU JESUS… and thank you for this post Brother Levi.

October 2, 2014 at 1:03 pm

You, Stacy, are a perfect example for this truth today. Praise the Lord for His faithfulness in using you!

8. Blue-and-Green-Together

October 2, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Thank you so much for this. I am ashamed to say that I have rarely had the courage in my over 30 years of being a Christian to witness out loud—verbally! However, I am finding that I have courage in writing m blog that I don’t have in person! I hope that I can put myself aside and let the Spirit do His work through my speaking words too.

October 3, 2014 at 8:30 am

He can give you the boldness you need at the appropriate time. Lord bless you my friend. 😀

October 3, 2014 at 6:42 pm

A great read; good observation about how Peter’s message was cutting; how we need preachers like that of Peter than one who tickle the heart