Don’t Lose Patience, Rest In Him !!!!!!

06 Oct

Americans are very impatient people, myself included. For the last few generations we have become very spoiled compared to the rest of the world. When we want something we usually go purchase it, whether we can afford it or not. This is one reason why many American families are only one weeks paycheck away from bankruptcy.

This type of mentality has spilled over into our spiritual lives as well. We want to be spiritual giants within months after the Lord saves us. We look for our super speedy spiritual growth to come from the best new teachings and insights, and attending great conferences and supercharged meetings; we read all of the Christian self-help books that hopefully will transform us into a brand new person that is useful to God.

When we learn that our sanctification doesn’t happen suddenly, but over a life-time, we sometimes become discouraged. I love to read of the many biblical characters that suffered from the same malady we do, and the way that God brought them from new born babes to mature spiritual patriarchs and kings and apostles.

Moses spent 40 years wandering in the desert with a rebellious nation wishing he wasn’t their leader. David spent years in the Judean hills fleeing King Saul before he was anointed to be the King of Israel. Even after he became King his life was packed with disobedience,Β trials and tribulations. Paul was exiled to the back side of the desert in Arabia for 3 years, being taught by God, before he emerged to be the grand apostle. Patience was taught all of these men.

There are women examples as well. I can think of no better than Sarah. God promised her a child in her old age, long after her days of fertility, and God kept His promise, as He always does, and she became the Matriarch of the nation of Israel at age 90.

None of the examples above always took God at His word and they tried to help His process along, but it always came back to bite them. We are all in a hurry, but God never is. God has a great plan that includes all of His people. We are all a part of His plan and His plan won’t be thwarted by any of us. He brings us all to maturity at different paces, some quick, and some slow, but we will all end up like Jesus when we finally see Him.

Let’s rest in God and the work that He has accomplished already in us. We must remember that it is His work andΒ “it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.” (Philillipians 2:13). Don’t lose heart, but rest in Jesus.

Something to think about on this beautiful Monday.

Shalom, until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on October 6, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

42 responses to “Don’t Lose Patience, Rest In Him !!!!!!

October 6, 2014 at 4:30 am

Now just why is this speaking directly to me today? Thank you Levi – and our patient Father.

October 6, 2014 at 6:42 am

I know not the answer, Paul. You are a very good listener to Him and so if He is speaking to you the reason will soon be known. Hope you had a great birthday party with the grand baby!!!

• paulfg

October 6, 2014 at 11:36 am

Thanks Levi – you got that right. And the party was grand in every sense!! Thank you πŸ™‚

2. tellthetruth1

October 6, 2014 at 4:40 am

Reblogged this on The love of God and commented:
    A page of huge encouragment. Come and wallow in it! Thank You, Lord, and thank you Levi, xx

3. peterjfoster

October 6, 2014 at 4:41 am

This is a timely message for me; I’m just coming out of years of ill health and am able to do more. But how much is ‘More? And how can I DO in Him and not me? This is resting in Him, I guess. Thanks for your Post

October 6, 2014 at 8:57 am

We can do as much as He allows and when we are led by the Spirit and glorify Jesus we are “doing it in Him”. Lord bless you!!!

4. wingedprisms

October 6, 2014 at 7:28 am

Thank you Levi. Well said. πŸ™‚
    cate

5. atimetoshare

October 6, 2014 at 7:39 am

This is so true. It has taken a lifetime for me to begin to understand God’s plan for my life and I’m still learning – a work in progress.

6. Heather

October 6, 2014 at 7:44 am

God’s timing is not always our timing but God’s timing is always on time…! : )

7. Lilka Raphael

October 6, 2014 at 8:17 am

Great message. I am always in need of a reminder such as this. Thanks Levi!

8. Karen Pickering

October 6, 2014 at 9:40 am

Excellent post, and so true. I had to laugh when I read the phrase “Christian self-help books.” Our homes are filled with them. It indicates we are looking to ourselves instead of God to change who we are.

October 6, 2014 at 9:45 am

Lol. It is an oxymoron for sure. There would be far fewer “Christian bookstores” and they would be a a lot smaller as well if they didn’t sell this type of books. Thanks as always, Karen. I hope your week is blessed!!!

9. Stacy Tolbert

October 6, 2014 at 10:58 am

I really needed this reminder in this season of my life. Thank you for being faithful and obedient to the great work that our Father has you doing brother. You have a wonderful day Levi.

October 6, 2014 at 11:36 am

I’m thankful it was timely for you Stacy. Have a blessed week brother!!!

10. The True Light!

October 6, 2014 at 11:12 am

Some very good thoughts in this one Levi! Good post as always…

TTL

11. realchange4u

October 6, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Some of us look for ever for our calling as they say. I made a comment last night to a group we meet with and reminded us that are calling is to make disciples out of others. Jesus followers. Trust God, have faith,walk in the Spirit and a relationship with him. God will do the rest. No worries God has this. Great post Levi. So happy God is in Control.

October 6, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I like the way you say things and make it so simple, Tom. Faith and trust are at the heart of the matter. That’s why we all struggle at times. Thanks, Brother.

October 6, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Wonderful post Levi! Thanks for sharing your thought with us!

October 6, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Thanks Elaine and thank you for the reblog!!! πŸ˜€

• Elaine

October 6, 2014 at 1:36 pm

my pleasure Levi! Shared it on my Facebook page as well. It really spoke to me.

October 6, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Thanks again. What is your Facebook page. I have 2 myself. I’ll follow you if you would like.

• Elaine

October 6, 2014 at 8:39 pm

My Facebook page is under my name Elaine Serra. I would love it if you follow me! I will follow you as well. πŸ™‚

October 6, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Ok, I sent you a request.

• Elaine

October 6, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Hmmm wonder if the internet is slow tonight. The request didn’t come through yet.

October 6, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Reblogged this on Elaine's Random Thoughts and commented:
    Great post and I agree—we are an impatient people. Faith and Trust are the key words we should keep in mind instead of being the impatient humans that we are.

14. ropheka

October 6, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Personally it took Jehovah forty years to get this son where I am now. Talk about a slow learner huh.

October 6, 2014 at 5:01 pm

It’s 50 on me so I’m really slow. Lol. But He is patient with us. Thank the Lord!!

15. Linda Arthur Tejera

October 6, 2014 at 5:29 pm

His time is not our time! Grant me patience and I want it now! πŸ™‚

16. teresarose

October 6, 2014 at 11:57 pm

“We’re all in a hurry, but God never is.” Appreciated that!

17. Lionel Sneed

October 7, 2014 at 6:57 am

I love this!

October 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm

We are such a people of instant gratification…good devotional reminding us to be patient and trust in the Lord!