The Week Past !!!!!!

13 Oct

I wanted to update everyone on the week past sine I have not been able to write for the blog. I mentioned a few days ago because of the extensive travel for the rest of that month that I will be doing I would be sporadic. Last week was more or less preparation for the remainder of the month. But, there were some events, two pretty big ones that I wanted to update you on.

Last Wednesday, our oldest grandson, Robert, and his wife, Faith, became parents to our newest grandchild. Yes, but I should have said great grandchild, and he has been named Bentlee Jack. Poppie (me) was able to hold him on Thursday. He is a sweetie and another keeper. We haven’t had one yet that hasn’t been a keeper. He is a nice looking and healthy baby, and he and momma were sent home on Friday morning.

BentleyJust born and barely cleaned up

While we are on the subject of babies, Robert’s sister, Bethany, will have their baby at noon on the 20th. So in only week  another great grandson will be born. On this one we know the exact time because he will be taken unless something occurs between now and then. If I’m counting correctly that will make 16 grandchildren including the greats. Totally amazing!!!!

Another thing happened that was out of the blue. Several weeks ago my wife was talking and said she wished that she could do a DNA test to find out more of her family roots. As she was talking I at that moment “accidentally” saw a page telling how to have your DNA tested, and I wasn’t even looking for it. I told her what I had just seen and she wanted both of us to do it.

I ordered 2 different kits and when they arrived we followed the directions and mailed them in. That was about 6 weeks ago. We received our results on Saturday and we were both shocked. We were right about a part of our heritage but there was much we had no idea of. We were both amazed to find out that we are part Jewish. My wife was Eastern European Jewish as was I, plus I had a bigger percentage of Middle Eastern Jewish blood than Eastern European. This now answers why I have always loved Jewish people so much and want to reach them with the Gospel. It really is quite exciting. I found tonight some 4th cousins with the last name of Cohn which is abbreviated for Cohen and is definitely Jewish. I will try to find out now which side of my family this is from. It has never been talked about.

Finding out about my roots won’t change me at this stage in my life but now as I am witnessing for Jesus, with Jews for Jesus, I can truly be a Jew For Jesus and not a Goyim For Jesus. BTW, I never did say I was either and only a few ever asked me. When I told them I wasn’t Jewish said they thought I was. Well, they were right.

I travelled to New York on Sunday and am writing this from my room at the Jews For Jesus headquarters in Manhattan. I will work here until Thursday and will then travel to Pa. for our Ingathering retreat which will last until Sunday. The Lord is truly good. The psalmist said “For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations”. (Psalm 100:5). He is faithful even when we are not. His grace continues to blow me away still, even after trusting Him for 50 years.

Something to think about on this beautiful Monday,

Shalom, until next time, Lord willing,

Posted by on October 13, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

75 responses to “The Week Past !!!!!!

October 13, 2014 at 4:50 am

“We haven’t had one yet that hasn’t been a keeper.” – now that is a (great) granddad speaking!! Congratulations – on all fronts!! 🙂

2. mzpresser

October 13, 2014 at 5:33 am

We are family!!! Love you!

3. Naomi

October 13, 2014 at 5:38 am

Wow Levi, so special that you found out you have Jewish bloodlines. I am praying for you every day to have a safe and spiritually rewarding trip. Thanks so much for sharing, you made my night.

October 13, 2014 at 5:40 am

It was a big surprise to me too. Sleep well my friend and thank you for the prayers!!

4. wingedprisms

October 13, 2014 at 7:12 am

Congratulations Levi! Wonderful news you bring….. BTW – I also thought you were Jewish….
    cate

5. Skye

October 13, 2014 at 7:18 am

This whole post has me in tears! The baby is absolutely beautiful…the number of blessings in your family is just a treasure. AND, to find out that you are actually of Jewish descent….amazing!! And totally God. He truly does put the desires of our hearts there for reasons!!! He is so very good–this just proves it over and over again in my heart! Thank you for sharing!! Hugs!!

October 13, 2014 at 7:23 am

The Lord is amazing. The tapestry of our lives is so full to the brim of His treasures. You sure cry easy. Lol. Hugs to you and have a great week!! 🙂

• Skye

October 13, 2014 at 7:47 am

lol…I do. You should see me at those sappy telephone commercials or Hallmark ads…..pathetic. lol

6. Sheila

October 13, 2014 at 7:22 am

Congratulations for another healthy arrival! What a blessing! And God’s blessings on your work there and safe travels.

7. tellthetruth1

October 13, 2014 at 7:24 am

Comes as a bit of a shock, this, doesn’t it. Finding out I was half-Jewish happened to me about three or so years ago. I’m so glad for you 😀

October 13, 2014 at 7:48 am

It was a shock because all of the focus was on my dads side of the family. Nothing much was ever said of my moms. I’m certain you were shocked too. Thanks for sharing!!

• tellthetruth1

October 13, 2014 at 8:02 am

There’s actually more to my story than I dare write here, Levi. WWII leaves behind a history that most of us are aware of. Plus, it also leaves a hidden history that, if it were told, would be heart breaking. I have been told a few things, all hearsay for now. I shudder at what may be revealed when the Lord returns…The Jewish revealing is a treasure of gold in a possible history of trouble.

8. Karen Pickering

October 13, 2014 at 7:24 am

Congratulations on the new baby (babies). Too funny about the DNA test. My great great grandmother was Jewish although not much is known about her. I think we are all more connected than we think. We are so careful to identify our ethnicity, myself included. We tend to forget we all can trace our family tree back to Noah.

October 13, 2014 at 7:50 am

Thank you Karen. We for sure can trace ourselves to Noah. At least we can know a little of the movement of our ancestors through which line we are from. Have a great week!!!

9. lulu

October 13, 2014 at 7:40 am

Levi, your heart is so full of love not just for Jesus but for your family. You are a beautiful spirit.

October 13, 2014 at 7:51 am

Thank you, Lulu. And you are charming. Have a great week!!

10. Heather

October 13, 2014 at 7:49 am

“His grace continues to blow me away still, even after trusting Him for 50 years.” ~~ How AWESOME ! ! All your findings and happenings made me smile this morning : ) Have a great day in NYC! Eat something good! : )

October 13, 2014 at 7:53 am

Thanks dear girl. I will certainly have something good to eat more than once. Have a great day!

11. Julie Harris

October 13, 2014 at 7:52 am

Congrats on you new beautiful great grandson- and on finding out more about your heritage! Blessings to you!!

12. msauthorette

October 13, 2014 at 10:13 am

Wow Levi, how neat to find out you and your wife both have Jewish ancestry! I would like to do one of those DNA kits myself someday. And congrats on your newest (great)grandchild; he is beautiful.

October 13, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Thank you Kristina. He is a good looking baby if I do say so myself. You should do the test. You may find some surprises. Blessings you lady!!

13. johnmarkmiller

October 13, 2014 at 10:34 am

How precious! Congratulations to you and your family on this special delivery!

14. Elouise

October 13, 2014 at 11:09 am

What an eventful time this is! Thanks for the newsy update plus photo. Birth takes great courage–not easy! He’ll be better for it. As will you. The DNA piece is remarkable. And underscores the significance of your name and your calling, Levi.
    Elouise

October 13, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Hi Elouise. There is always something new happening it seems. It makes life interesting. Lord bless you, Elouise. Hope all is good with you!!!

15. Doug Drake

October 13, 2014 at 11:18 am

Congrats on the birth of another grandchild! I’m so glad to hear you will be at Ingathering. Heather and I arrive in NY on Wednesday and will be going as well. It will be so good to see you.

God bless, Doug Drake

Sent from my iPhone

October 13, 2014 at 11:24 am

Thanks, Doug. It will be good to see you again as well. Safe travels and see you soon!

16. Christa Madrid

October 13, 2014 at 11:57 am

Congratulations! How exciting on your DNA testing! I have been blessed with a mother who likes to research our heritage. She has traced it back to the middle ages, to a knight during the reign of Mary Queen of Scots! I’m sure they would be in total shock if they saw where we are now! Be Blessed!

October 13, 2014 at 3:34 pm

That’s neat on your family history. One of my fathers sides is traced back to the 5th century. Some of the family has done extensive research. My mothers side the info was limited so the surprise. Thanks Christa!! Blessings!

17. Deborah

October 13, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Oh my, what a beautiful little baby 😍
    Congrats! Must be so exciting! 😄
    And wow, praise the Lord! Glad you were able to trace your roots back and it was confirmed you come from Jewish descendants. Now I’m interested in doing the same hehe 😁

October 13, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Do the test. It’s fun to find out hidden things. Lol. 😀

• Deborah

October 13, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Where can I get it? I must take it! Lol.

October 13, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Ancestry.com and 23me.com and I’m sure there are others. It takes 6-7 weeks. Have fun and tell me if any surprises come up. 😃

• Deborah

October 13, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Ok awesome. Thanks! 😆

• Deborah

October 14, 2014 at 6:44 am

Btw, thanks. I look up the sites with my husband. He’s really interested now. He was adopted and wonders what his results will be. He’s mixed so people make all kinds of guesses when it comes to his race lol, so we’re curious to see what the tests will show. Thanks again for sharing 😇🙌👍

18. The True Light!

October 13, 2014 at 1:43 pm

What a great “share” Levi! To share in the beginning of a new life, and to enrich the past of two others lives! Congratulations to all of you…

TTL

October 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Thank you brother. Life is changing all the time. Lord bless!!!

• The True Light!

October 14, 2014 at 11:36 am

Some say that the very meaning of the word “life” is change. I’m inclined to agree. We all change in various ways as we journey through the years.

Again, congratulations to you and you wonderful family!

TTL

October 14, 2014 at 11:39 am

I have never heard this but it’s so very true. Thanks brother!!

• The True Light!

October 15, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I guess that because things in this world change so much that we must change along with them in order to keep up. Now, that may not apply to a spiritual life, because God never changes…

Interesting thought.

Take care, Levi,
            TTL

19. Paula Moldenhauer

October 13, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Congratulations on that precious baby! I’m intrigued about the DNA testing. My husband’s cousin has come to the conclusion that their family is not German, as we’d long thought, but Jews. He actually move to the Holy Land for a while. My husband and I are not as sure about how to process all that. DNA testing sounds very interesting.

October 13, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Thank you, Paul. The DNA testing is quite intriguing. Most I’m told are very surprised with the results. The results were real accurate from the information I knew on one side of the family but the other side information was limited. That’s where the surprises where. If you test I think it will be fun for you.

20. skinnyuz2b

October 13, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Levi, congratulations on your newest great-grandchild and almost great-grandchild. I was blessed with our first grandson 6 months ago. A child’s smile can brighten any day.
    Your DNA tests sound so interesting. I’ve always assumed I know my heritage since my father’s family came over from England in the late 1600s, and my mother’s parents came from Russia and Poland. But who knows what else is in there? You’ve got me wondering.

October 13, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Thank you on the great grandchild. I can’t believe that old. I thought I knew a lot about the families history and did on my fathers side but my mothers info was limited. You should do it. Hope you’re doing well!!

21. realchange4u

October 13, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I rejoice with you Levi. So happy for you. God speed you in your work for him.

22. jamaicanbeauty

October 13, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Congratulations.

23. Denine Taylor

October 13, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Awe Sweet babies! Congrats!!!! Sounds like your busy living life! Enjoy!! Blessings!

October 13, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Thank you, Denine. Yes, always busy living. There are few dull moments. 😀

24. vw1212

October 13, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Wow. I love this kind of busy. Congrats on the new babies. vw

25. T

October 13, 2014 at 8:14 pm

This was an exciting full of news post! congrats on it all and that baby sure is precious little guy thanks for sharing him 🙂

October 13, 2014 at 8:22 pm

You got the latest news that has any meat to it. Lol. We think he is pretty cute too. Thanks. Hope you’re doing well.

26. beenough

October 14, 2014 at 1:35 am

I love how God weaves everything together. Your live is such a blessing to witness and you are so very encouraging. Congrats to your grandchildren on their new babies.

27. Levi Thetford

October 14, 2014 at 7:24 am

Thank you for always being the encourager to me. You’re a blessing! Have a great day!!! 🙂

28. rachelcarrera

October 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Aww, congratulations! ❤

29. Blue-and-Green-Together

October 14, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Love the beautiful picture and congratulations! The DNA story is amazing too! 🙂 Blessings to you!

October 15, 2014 at 2:41 am

Congratulations!
    Also I’m blown away to learn you are now Jewish!

October 15, 2014 at 8:39 am

The baby and being a great grandpa was a big event. My being Jewish was a big surprise. All my life people have thought I was including jewish people but I didn’t think so. It’s from my moms side that we had not much info.

31. Sharon

October 16, 2014 at 7:12 am

Congratulations Levi!!! I am so enjoying my first grandchild and she is such a blessing ans takes a lot of G-ma’s time and energy. Loving every moment of it though. Also thanks for sharing about your Jewish roots. God is so amazing and when He reveals things like this it just shows so much more of His incredible glory. He certainly knows how to encourage and amaze. May God continue to bless you as you serve Him with Jews for Jesus and in other ways to touch the Jewish people.

October 16, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Thanks so much Sharon. God is amazing. He graciously gives us the desires of our hearts after giving us those desires. I’m in rural Pa. on a retreat for the next few days without Wifi.