The Vibrancy of the City !!!!!!

11 Nov

My first day in New York this month was a good one. I read a post yesterday from someone I often read and she explained about a visit over the weekend to Long Island. She said that when she looked over the bridge toward Manhattan she could feel the vibrancy running through her. I fully understand where she is coming from. I feel the same way as soon as I land at LaGuardia. No matter how many times I come here I always anticipate it. As a rule, as soon as I’m settled into my room I take off Uptown. Jews For Jesus is located at 31st and Park Ave. so it is a very nice walk. Here is a photo of the Empire State Building last night. It is only about 3 blocks away.

empire state

Today, after the staff meeting and lunch, I headed to Herald Square and stood on the corner of 35Th and 6th Ave passing out tracks and speaking with those that wished to. Herald Square is a great place to be a herald of the forgiveness of sins that can be had only in Jesus the Messiah. I handed out 400 Jews For Jesus tracks and was able to have 4 conversations, 3 of them being Jewish men. That may not sound like a lot, but what we don’t know is how God will work in the hearts of all that received and read the tract. In the staff meeting this morning a mention came out of a gentleman responding after 1 1/2 years. We have a promise that if we proclaim the message of the Gospel that God will take those words and do His perfect work.

“So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
    it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
    and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it”. Isaiah 55:11

herald square

Herald Square

Pray that God will use me in some small way in helping to reach some of this cities people to the Truth.

Shalom, until next time, Lord willing,

Posted by on November 11, 2014 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

32 responses to “The Vibrancy of the City !!!!!!

1. Sarah the 7th

November 11, 2014 at 5:11 am

Thank you Levi. I follow you often but must honestly (with a touch of embarresment, bordering on shame) admit that you are often over my head somewhat. While my belief is real, and I know that in my soul, I still have a great difficulty with trust which leaves me having to admit that my faith is not yet rock solid. It feels very good to say that out loud, thank you again!
    You’ve just reminded me to keep it simple, I DO know that in God’s time, I will be shown clearly, that trust is possible and good. I will come to fully, with my entire being, know My Lord and Savior loves me as much as all of His children.
    My Earthly experience has been full of trauma and battles with evil. Much brought on by myself, yet an equal amount, at least, just thrust upon me. Hence my fear to trust. Thank you again!!! (pardon the redundancy) but you’ve also begun this beautiful day for me with a reminder to be grateful that I have another day, and I’ll stick to the scripture that strikes me with peace and come back to that which is “over my head” when The Lord sees fit to open my bible there, for He will know when I’ll be ready to understand.
    God Bless and enjoy N.Y., it was indeed a beautiful day there yesterday, we may even have crossed paths!!
    Fondly,
    Sarah

Liked by 2 people

November 11, 2014 at 10:07 am

Sarah, what a joy for me to hear of you reading my blog some. Welcome. I’m so glad that you have commented today and shared what you have. I’m sorry that i have not written more simply for anyone to understand. That is good feedback and I’m glad to know it. If you see me on the streets be sure to stop me and say hello. Continue to grow in God’s grace through Jesus. Lord bless and come again please.

• Sarah the 7th

November 13, 2014 at 9:43 am

Hello Levi, I just found this now (please bear with me, I AM an e-bonehead! Just when I think I’m catching up with technology, what I’ve finally come to know is obsolete!!! I’ve accepted this and plug along, however I fear it may be frustrating for those of you who catch on more rapidly! lol)
        I don’t think it is your writing I find difficult to understand, I find your style fluid, concise, and even poetic. It is my fear of my faith. I had to think for some time what word to use there, and “fear” is the honest, precise word that I would really prefer not to still have to use when speaking of Our Lord.
        The truth is that I’ve been reading you for quite some time now. I am 56 years old now, and I don’t want to bore anyone but feel that if I am to understand your message and lose this lingering fear, I need to provide as brief a history as I can. I’ll borrow a phrase from AA “from birth I was misguided by the misguided”. I like this phrase, as my parents were wonderful people with challenges and demons of their own. They had 6 of us in 8 years time, both were very young and Dad had just returned from 2 years of front line combat service in Korea when we began popping into their lives. My youngest sister, the 6th child, lived but a few hours, and I know now that, that devastated my Mom. Alcohol became the biggest part of home life and that, coupled with PTSD for both of my intelligent, talented parents, created a great deal of neglect and violence. Mom got us to the Catholic church as much as she could, I am the classic middle child and a carbon copy of my Mom as well as a classic, outspoken “rebel without a cause”. All of this led me to be the target for the violence. I have 1 brother, 1 year older than me who, God Bless him, stepped in and took many beatings for me so that I could escape before being killed (again, please know that I judge not my folks, Thanks to God, and some fine humans’ He put in my life who taught me that every awful experience I endured had a lesson for me to learn, I came to understand that both of them had demon’s, and they did indeed do the very best they could under extremely difficult circumstances. I was blessed with this awareness before they passed away, back home to God. Only my brother and I were at peace with our chilhoods when they passed, soo sad for my sisters.) Without anyone knowing or caring what I was doing or where I was, I became a wild child very young. Drinking and smoking started at the tender age of 9, and I held off on drugs until I was 11! I lost my virginity to a rapist at 12 and was again kidnapped and raped at gunpoint at 18. I was extremely self destructive and (I know today) self loathing, with a fine tuned façade of “independent tough girl”. The first 30 years of my life were filled with assault and destruction, approximately equal parts self imposed and “wrong place wrong time” oddball crazy rapes and attempted murders. Oops, that wasn’t quite brief! At any rate the result of this whole mess created in me a great fear of God, and absolute confusion. How could there be a God who loved me? Nothing that loved could allow all of this violence. I had a strong desire to be atheist, but try as I did, I could not, not believe. 26 years ago, God sent me on my journey to recovery from alcohol and drugs through the courts. I had settled into the belief that I would die young and drunk. That was actually comfortable to me at the time and the only semblance of peace I experienced. The court gave me a choice of jail or rehab and my decision was made based on the conclusion that the food would be better in rehab, I was so very soul sick!

When re-introduced to a loving God in recovery programs, I was so terrified that I’d tremble violently when attempting to pray. My journey thus far has been 2 steps forward, 1 step back, but with every passing day, I move more and more forward, and slip back infrequently (Thank You Lord).

Forgive my going on and on, I suppose I felt it nessecary to introduce my confusion to you, because I’m still fearful and don’t quite understand that . You quote scripture (much of which I find uncomfortable) and follow with interpretations that enable me to sit with the scripture, less fearfully. Many of your posts have enabled me to not tremble and need to slam the bible closed and run and hide. It is simultaneously exciting, inspiring and fearful to sit with this brand new experience. I feel I can honestly say that I have come to absolutely believe that God loves me and has carried me for much of this journey, and He has undeniably placed many amazing people in my life to enable me to slowly strengthen my faith. The God and My Lord that I know today has been patient, creative, and humorous as I kicked and screamed wanting to hold on to my fear. My fear is what served me in my first 30 years, oddly enough, it is all I knew that had enabled me to survive all that I had.

My knew friend, you terrify me, and this is a good thing!!!! Yesterday I was graced with the courage to acknowledge you. Feel the fear and do it anyway, for God has sent you to me to lead me to believe that my soul is whole, and that I have nothing to fear but fear itself. There are no words to express how huge this is for me, Levi, you needn’t simplify, you just broke through my thick head!! I apologize once more for a far too lengthy reply, yet I feel certain that you understand that I needed to do this. Face my fear out loud, so that I may continue to gain comfort in the word of The Lord through your heart and soul. Thank you so very much for listening. God does indeed work in mysterious ways, and I shall be eternally grateful.
        With respect and gratitude,
        Sarah

November 13, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Sarah, thank you for letting me know of some of your background and where you are today. This encourages me to know that what I’m posting is actually helping people to know the love of God. I wish I could help you on a more personal level, as time would permit. If you ever have any questions that you don’t want everybody to see just send me an email. levithetford@gmail.com. Have a nice evening, Sarah!!! 🙂

• Sarah the 7th

November 13, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I am so grateful I was taught that the message could come from anywhere, so be open. This fear has been lingering so long, it is reviving to feel the ability to move forward. Thank you for the very generous offer, and you absolutely are sending out help! I’ve put your e-mail in my contacts (and wrote it down just in case, lol). I shall do my best to remind myself there is no such thing as a stupid question! AHHHHH!!! Thank you Levi and Thank You Lord.
            I’m approx. 50 miles north of you right now and watching the beautiful first snowfall, I hope it’s snowing in Manhattan, a beautiful sight to behold for you tonight.
            Gratefully,
            Sarah

November 14, 2014 at 7:11 am

You’re right, there’s no stupid question. No snow here in Manhattan but it was raining when I went to dinner last night and is wet this early morning it seems. Have a great day.

November 11, 2014 at 5:33 am

It’s always a team game. Always.

3. realchange4u

November 11, 2014 at 7:22 am

May God continue to speed his work in you Levi. New York is beautiful. We wish we were there with you. I witnessed to some Israeli girls Saturday night. It’s if they don’t understand. However as you said it’s for me but to witness and bring the word God will do the rest.

Liked by 2 people

4. atimetoshare

November 11, 2014 at 7:39 am

I am confident that God is using you every day to bring others to Him. Keep up the good work you do.

November 11, 2014 at 8:31 am

With the Lord’s strength and open doors I shall. Thanks, Kathy.

• atimetoshare

November 11, 2014 at 8:47 am

😊

5. atimetoshare

November 11, 2014 at 7:41 am

I also think it’s really cool that you plant seeds in gardens as well as the big city!!

6. Julie Harris

November 11, 2014 at 8:18 am

Praying for you and for the ministry He has called you to!

7. Levi Thetford

November 11, 2014 at 8:23 am

Couldn’t agree with you more, Paul.

8. johnmarkmiller

November 11, 2014 at 9:44 am

Your life is so adventurous these days! I’ll be praying that God blesses your ministry in the Big Apple!

9. Debbie

November 11, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Praying with you, Levi, so thankful for these special times and days that He has ordered!

10. Blue-and-Green-Together

November 12, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I have been in New York a couple of times (once, very briefly), and it was amazing. Quite a shell shock for a Midwestern farm girl. It had a huge impact on my life at age 18. I stayed with a family in Brooklyn—the husband was a converted Jew, and they still minister there. They took me on a tour of The City….wow. I’ve never forgotten it.

Liked by 2 people

November 12, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Neat story and I love it here too. The pastors name isn’t David Rosenberg is it? I know him if it is. Thanks!

11. a gentle iconoclast

November 12, 2014 at 3:05 pm

So glad you’re there working for the Lord, Levi!

12. Megan

November 12, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Amen! Praying the Lord uses you in mighty ways! No matter how big or small they may seem.

13. Levi Thetford

November 12, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Thank you for your prayers, Megan.

November 13, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Praying

15. Deborah

November 13, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Awesome! There’s no place like Nyc! 😀
    I must admit, I was born and raised in New York but I’m just now starting to like this city lol. The three years I lived in Pennsylvania turned me into a country gal haha.
    Glad you’re having a great time and that the Lord is using you to bring souls into His Kingdom.

16. Anna Waldherr

October 18, 2015 at 12:18 am

Levi, I just came across this gem. Though I now live where you can see tractors in the field, the spires of NYC will always be part of me. May God continue to bless you and the great work you do.

October 19, 2015 at 10:51 am

Hi Anna. I have been in NYC for the past week but am getting ready to head to Laguardia now to return home. I spent a long weekend at a retreat around New Ringgold, Pa. It was really nice. As I drove closer to the city, and particularly when I got close to George Washington tunnel the vibrancy of the city returned. Lol. Now home for the complete opposite. God has given me the best gig ever!!! I hope you are loving and adjusting to your new life there. God bless you my friend!!!!