Prepare the Way of Messiah !!!!!!

30 Nov

“He will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God, and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.” (Luke 1:16–17)

As John the Baptiser prepared Israel for their Messiah, this year I want to see if Advent can prepare us to celebrate the coming of our Messiah. I am not from a confessional church where Advent or Lent were ever mentioned. As Christmas drew nearer I would have my daily devotions from passages of Scripture to prepare my heart for it. This year I want to focus even more, and plan I to write for each day of Advent. I want to be prepared spiritually because the season has an even more significance when we come prepared.

So that we can be prepared….

First, we want to meditate on the fact that we need a Savior. Christmas is a charge against me before it can be a delight. It will not have its intended effect until we feel desperately the need for a Savior.

Second, we want to have real self-examination. “Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!” Let every heart prepare Him room by cleaning our own house.

Third, we want to build a God-centered anticipation and expectancy and excitement into our homes, especially for the children. If I am excited about Christ, they probably will be too. If you can only make Christmas exciting with material things, how will our children get a thirst for God? We need to stretch our imaginations to make the wonder of the King’s arrival visible for the children.

Fourth, we need to be in the Scriptures. “Is not my word like fire, says the Lord!” Let’s gather around that fire this Advent season. It is warm. It is glimmering with colors of grace. It is light for dark nights.

Shalom, until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on November 30, 2014 in Advent, Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , ,

19 responses to “Prepare the Way of Messiah !!!!!!

1. atimetoshare

November 30, 2014 at 11:00 am

Lovely post, Levi. Advent is a time of anticipation and excitement and gets us ready not only for the birth of our Messiah, but also to be prepared for His second coming. Have a great week!

November 30, 2014 at 12:04 pm

This will be my first real time Kathy. You have a great week to. Preparing for New York the end of the week for 11 days.

• atimetoshare

November 30, 2014 at 12:11 pm

👏👏👏👍

2. linda parvin hutchinson

November 30, 2014 at 12:07 pm

We wait in great anticipation for the King.

3. kiwiskan

November 30, 2014 at 1:44 pm

…and our first Advent candle is lit

November 30, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Good girl. Lol. May the season bring His presence near.

4. tellthetruth1

December 1, 2014 at 7:21 am

Reblogged this on The love of God and commented:
    I’m finding some beautiful, powerful things on here today. Here’s another one! God love you, Levi.

5. Levi Thetford

December 1, 2014 at 7:28 am

Thank you for the reblog, Jen. Have a great day!

6. mzpresser

December 1, 2014 at 9:21 am

Can someone teach this Jewish girl about Advent? I don’t know anything about it 🙂

December 1, 2014 at 9:32 am

Hey Melissa. Advent is mainly observed by confessional churches. Its a time that begins 4 Sundays before Christmas. Its a time of focus and preparation for Celebrating Jesus birth. Ive never done it before because the independent churches ive always been a member of didnt. Looking at it i think it is a good thing to do. Our focus can be on the real reason of the sesaon instead of hit and miss. I think if Messianics observe Christmas this would fit in well with other Jewish holy days. It makes it a spuritual thing instead of materialustic only. Got it? 😀

• mzpresser

December 1, 2014 at 9:34 am

I love that!!! Starting now!!!

7. Cynthia Reyes

December 1, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for this, Levi. One of the things my forced slowing-down has done is to make me more aware of the season of Advent. I knew about it and we lit the Advent candles each Sunday in church and at home.
    But these days I understand why families also had an Advent calendar and specific Advent rituals. It was to mark these special days in a Christian family’s life (and beliefs) as we head toward Christmas. The waiting and working towards the celebration of the birth of Christ and not just the big day itself.

December 1, 2014 at 2:19 pm

My pleasure dear friend. Not being from a confessional church background ive never observed Advent. First time for me and looking forward to the whole thing.

8. ropheka

December 1, 2014 at 5:03 pm

That is one thing I liked about China. There was nt commericalisim of Christmas and the Christmas day service was about Christ, not santa claus

December 1, 2014 at 8:40 pm

That’s interesting. I wonder how long that will last?

9. vw1212

December 1, 2014 at 7:26 pm

This is the gospel truth,.vw

10. Anna Waldherr

October 4, 2015 at 10:50 am

A great reminder for us all, Levi — especially since the marketing for Christmas now begins in July.