The Lowly Visited !!!!!!

01 Dec

“My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring forever.” (Luke 1:46–55)

In these verses Mary sees very clearly a remarkable thing about God. She knows that He is about to change the course of all human history. What she didn’t know was that the most important three decades in all of time are about to begin.

And where was God in all of this? He was working through two unknown, simple Hebrew women in the old and childless Elizabeth, and the young virgin Mary. Mary is so moved by her vision of God, the One who loved the lowly, that she bursts out in a song, a song that we know as “the Magnificat” (Luke 1:46–55).

In reading Luke’s account, Mary and Elizabeth are wonderful women. He loves the faith of these women. The thing that impresses him most, it seems, and the thing that he wants to impress on Theophilus, and now us, is the lowliness and humility of Elizabeth and Mary.

Elizabeth says (Luke 1:43), “And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord would come to me?” And Mary says (Luke 1:48), “He has looked on the humble estate of his servant.”

Today, the only people whose soul can truly magnify the Lord are people like Elizabeth and Mary; people who acknowledge their lowly sinful estate and are overwhelmed by the coming of the magnificent God in the person of Jesus of Nazareth.

Do you know Him?

Shalom, until tomorrow, Lord willing,

Posted by on December 1, 2014 in Advent, Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , ,

32 responses to “The Lowly Visited !!!!!!

December 1, 2014 at 5:13 am

I always think of the stable as “lowly and humble” – you have reminded me it was so much earlier – so consistent. So loving. Thank you.

Liked by 2 people

2. realchange4u

December 1, 2014 at 7:41 am

Search my heart Lord. Help me to be obedient to you. To see you as you desire.

Wonderful reminder Levi. To always be in awe of God. I think sometime I am guilty of making God common, you know God will let it go if I say this or talk about him like that. Flippent conversation about God. Today I am reminded that God is sovereign and I am but dust. God is omnipresent, onipentent, and is to be feared in reverent admiration. Yet he loves me so much and desires a deep one on one relationship with me. That’s a awesome God.

Thank you for a beautiful reminder brother Levi

December 1, 2014 at 7:45 am

He is grand and it is easy to not think of Him this way all of the time. He is gracious to His people Tom. We know that.

• realchange4u

December 1, 2014 at 7:48 am

Yes he is gracious Levi. I love God for that attribute. This is a Scripture that puts it in perspective for me.

Psalms 2:11 NLT
        Serve the lord with reverent fear, and rejoice with trembling.

3. Stacy Tolbert

December 1, 2014 at 10:56 am

Yes brother Levi, I know Him, and i’m growing deeper in love with Him daily. Thank you for another great post, you have a blessed day my brother.

December 1, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I know you know Jesus, Stacy and am so glad you do. Keep growing my brother!

4. Elouise

December 1, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I had no idea you were going to post this today! Very nice. Two women of great yet simple faith.
    Elouise

December 1, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I guess I’ve gone back on what i said a few weeks ago. I started Advent posts yesterday. I wasn’t going to but felt like I should. I’m back I think. Lol. Thanks for reading Elouise.

• Elouise

December 1, 2014 at 4:29 pm

It’s my pleasure! Actually, Advent started yesterday–so you’re right on time!
        Elouise

December 1, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Yep, that’s why I started yesterday. Have a great rest of the day.

• Elouise

December 1, 2014 at 4:43 pm

lol. It pays to look at the date of your post, doesn’t it?! I just went for the content. The good stuff!
            Over and out!

5. ropheka

December 1, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I know Him but He knows me better. The wonderful thing is the way He always manages to throw in suprise just when I think I know Him completly

December 1, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I totally agree. We don’t really know ourselves. We most of the time think we are better than we really are, and there are some on the opposite end of the scale which is also sin. He surprises us often doesn’t He?

6. Garden Walk Garden Talk

December 1, 2014 at 6:11 pm

My thought was similar to ropheka, that He knows me, or at least I hope so. I feel too ‘humble’ to think I know Him. I guess it is all in the meaning of knowing.

7. Levi Thetford

December 1, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Oh Donna. He knows you inside out and from eternity past. You were planned for to the most finite detail. You are no accident. We can know Him through His word and by His Spirit Who dwells within us.

8. Megan

December 1, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Amen. Thanks, Levi for this great reminder that the Lord exalts those who humble themselves before Him. Bless you!

December 1, 2014 at 8:56 pm

And the Lord bless you, Megan. I hope you enjoy the season. I’ve enjoyed your post fyi. Thank you!!!

9. Christa Madrid

December 1, 2014 at 9:42 pm

These are two of my heroes!

10. Levi Thetford

December 1, 2014 at 9:55 pm

They are great examples for sure.

11. 50djohnson

December 1, 2014 at 11:48 pm

These words put to music are some of the most moving words ever sung!

12. walter bright

December 2, 2014 at 2:31 am

Brother Levi,

Thanks for the wonderful reminder

13. a gentle iconoclast

December 2, 2014 at 10:19 am

Wonderful, Levi!

14. Susan Irene Fox

December 2, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Wonderful, Levi. These two women were so delighted with the Lord, so joyful in their worship, they understood the honor of being in His presence. It is rare when we are overwhelmed with awe. It is good to stop and remember Whose we are.

15. Levi Thetford

December 2, 2014 at 4:44 pm

It is good to stop and remember Whose we are. This is my first time to do the Advent thing. It’s great to visit these thoughts at this time of year. What a Savior we have, Susan!!!

December 3, 2014 at 1:32 pm

A mark of a believer is humility and humility before God over one’s sin and the greatness of God. Thanks for this Spurgeon devotional!

17. mzpresser

December 9, 2014 at 5:53 am

Love this. Two Jewish women loving each other and their God. When will my people see? ???????

December 9, 2014 at 8:19 am

One day the blinders will be removed and they will call upon Yeshua whom they have hated and distrgarded. We need to love them intil that day.

• mzpresser

December 9, 2014 at 8:24 am

Yes I pray everyone loves on my people and opens their eyes to Yshua!!!