Afflictions, But No Broken Bones !!!!!!

19 Dec
Afflictions, But No Broken Bones !!!!!!

He keepeth all his bones; not one of them is broken. (Psalm 34:20)

This promise by the context is referred to the much afflicted righteous man: “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivereth him out of them all.” He may suffer skin wounds and flesh wounds, but no great harm shall be done; “not a bone of him shall be broken.”

This is great comfort to a tried child of God, and comfort which I dare accept; for up to this hour I have suffered no real damage from my many afflictions. I have neither lost faith, nor hope, nor love. Nay so far from losing these bones of character, they have gained in strength and energy. I have more knowledge, more experience, more patience, more stability than I had before the trials came. Not even my joy has been destroyed. Many a bruise have I had by sickness, bereavement, depression, slander, and opposition; but the bruise has healed, and there has been no compound fracture of a bone, not even a simple one. The reason is not far to seek. If we trust in the Lord, He keeps all our bones; and if He keeps them, we may be sure that not one of them is broken.

Come, my heart, do not sorrow. Thou art smarting, but there are no bones broken. Endure hardness and bid defiance to fear.

C.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Posted by on December 19, 2014 in C.H. Spurgeon, Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , ,

14 responses to “Afflictions, But No Broken Bones !!!!!!

1. Sarah the 7th

December 19, 2014 at 8:09 am

Hello Levi, After having let my faith momentarily fall by the wayside, I subjected myself to all the bruises mentioned here. Thanks to my Loving Lord staying with me and reeling me back in, I am back, bruises healed and faith strengthened as promised here. I was hospitalized and had no computer access. I have missed your posts, it will take time to catch up and that is how it should be. Thank You My Dear Lord, you have once again spared me. I pray that I may not stray, guide me this day, Lord to live in your will for me, grant me the knowledge of that will for me and the power to carry that out. Help me Lord, to love myself the way that you love me. Amen.
    As always, Levi, thank you, I am so grateful you are still here in my inbox.
    With much gratitude,
    Sarah

Liked by 2 people

December 19, 2014 at 8:38 am

Sarah, i wondered what happened to you. I have thought of you often and have tried to check on you. God is faithful. I will be praying for you. I just returned from NY. I was there for 10 days and had a great trip. If you need anything just holler. Im praying for you.

• Anonymous

December 19, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Thank you so for the prayers, Levi. I am well and My Lord is good! A Very Merry Christmas to you, and may I add that I feel good knowing that you are yet another guardian angel looking out for me.
        God Bless!
        Sarah

December 19, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Sarah, Im no guardian angel but i know The One who protects His people. Look upwards my girl!!!!

2. wingedprisms

December 19, 2014 at 9:58 am

This is good – thank you , Levi, for sharing this. 😀
    cate

December 19, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Hi Cate. Im glad you liked it. Hope you are doing well.

• wingedprisms

December 19, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Yes – how are you? Are you home or are you still eating my favs at Italian Bakery in NYC? Hmm?

December 19, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Lol. I returned home night before last. Dont go back until the 11th. The food was mighty good!!!

• wingedprisms

December 19, 2014 at 1:19 pm

have you been into the East Village yet? Amazing places to eat and MORE bakeries!

3. ropheka

December 19, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Soemtimes I can fell my bones cracking but the Holy Spirit comes to strengthen them.
    \
    Merry Christmas

4. tonyroberts64

December 19, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I never fail to be inspired by Spurgeon. You seem to share just the reflection I most need the day I read them. Thanks for your ministry, Levi.

December 19, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Hi Tony. Spurgeon seldom disappoints. I’m glad you are blessed by him. At the end of the year I will have posted all of Faith’s Checkbook. There may be a different daily devotion for next year that I have found. Several of my followers like it. I’ve been so busy traveling that I’m not able to write a post very often. Still deciding if I will continue blogging or not. This next year, Lord willing, I will be working in France, Israel, India, and Toronto, plus my normal NYC work. Nice hearing from you, grandpa.

5. Anonymous

January 9, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Levi, Spurgeon wrote this for me! No broken bones, just afflictions!

January 9, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I’m so happy that this fits your circumstances. You could be correct because God’s people are that special to Him. Lord bless you and comfort you!!!