Immediately Present !!!!!!

22 Dec
Immediately Present !!!!!!

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1)

A help that is not present when we need it is of small value. The anchor which is left at home is of no use to the seaman in the hour of storm; the money which he used to have is of no worth to the debtor when a writ is out against him. Very few earthly helps could be called “very present”: they are usually far in the seeking, far in the using, and farther still when once used. But as for the Lord our God, He is present when we seek Him, present when we need Him, and present when we have already enjoyed His aid.

He is more than “present,” He is very present. More present than the nearest friend can be, for He is in us in our trouble; more present than we are to ourselves, for sometimes we lack presence of mind. He is always present, effectually present, sympathetically present, altogether present. He is present now if this is a gloomy season. Let us rest ourselves upon Him. He is our refuge, let us hide in Him; He is our strength, let us array ourselves with Him; He is our help, let us lean upon Him; He is our very present help, let us repose in Him now. We need not have a moment’s care or an instant’s fear. “The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.”

C.H. Spurgeon, Faith’s Checkbook

Posted by on December 22, 2014 in C.H. Spurgeon, Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , ,

8 responses to “Immediately Present !!!!!!

1. Ron Whited

December 22, 2014 at 4:39 am

Levi,
    For so many years I have held on to this precious verse. Thanks for the timely reminder.
    Have a blessed Christmas!

Ron

December 22, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I’m glad you were blessed by it, Ron. I hope you and your families Christmas is a wonderful one.

2. francesrogers

December 22, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Thank you for your posts from Spurgeon. In case you and others have not seen the new Spurgeon documentary here is the link. http://www.throughtheeyesofspurgeon.com/

December 22, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Thank you very much, Frances. Yes, I have seen it. I enjoyed it very much!!! I hope your holiday season has been a good one. Have a wonderful Christmas!!

December 23, 2014 at 3:16 am

Grateful that He is more than “present”

4. Heather

December 23, 2014 at 10:59 am

Emmanuel…God with us…. this song was in our cantata this weekend and it’s been on my mind through a scary health time with my mama. He is with us. O come o come Emmanuel. Thanks for the reminder Levi!

December 23, 2014 at 1:05 pm

My pleasure Heather. I’m sorry to hear your mother is having problems. I will remember her in prayer today. Stay calm my girl and trust.

5. vw1212

December 23, 2014 at 9:19 pm

so true; help in time and season. vw