Polluted By Holy Motives !!!!!!

08 Jan

January 8

Polluted by Holy Motives?

Exodus 28:38

What a veil is lifted up by these words, and what a disclosure is made! It will be humbling and profitable for us to pause awhile and see this sad sight. The iniquities of our public worship, its hypocrisy, formality, lukewarmness, irreverence, wandering of heart, and forgetfulness of God–what a full measure have we there! Our work for the Lord, its emulation, selfishness, carelessness, slackness, unbelief–what a mass of defilement is there! Our private devotions, their laxity, coldness, neglect, sleepiness, and vanity–what a mountain of dead earth is there! If we looked more carefully, we should find this iniquity to be far greater than appears at first sight.

Dr. Payson, writing to his brother, says, “My parish, as well as my heart, very much resembles the garden of the sluggard; and what is worse, I find that very many of my desires for the improvement of both, proceed either from pride or vanity or indolence. I look at the weeds, which overspread my garden, and breathe out an earnest wish that they were eradicated. But why? What prompts the wish? So that I may walk out and say to myself, ‘In what fine order is my garden kept!’ This is pride. Or, so that my neighbors may look over the wall and say, ‘How finely your garden flourishes!’ This is vanity. Or I may wish for the destruction of the weeds, because I am weary of pulling them up. This is indolence.”

So even our desires after holiness may be polluted by ill motives. Under the greenest sods worms hide themselves; we need not look long to discover them. How cheering is the thought that when the High Priest bore the iniquity of the holy things he wore upon his brow the words, “HOLINESS TO THE LORD,” and even so while Jesus bears our sin, He presents before His Father’s face not our unholiness, but His own holiness. O for grace to view our great High Priest by the eye of faith!

Truth For Today Daily, by Alistair Begg

Posted by on January 8, 2015 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , ,

13 responses to “Polluted By Holy Motives !!!!!!

1. Heather

January 8, 2015 at 11:37 am

Thank you Jesus!

2. ropheka

January 8, 2015 at 5:07 pm

I too have to discern many times wether it is for Gods glroy or mine.

It is something we all have to keep on top of.

Jehovah bless you with wisdom, humbleness and meekness (which we all need an abudance of).

January 8, 2015 at 5:49 pm

I think it is a universal problem to which we must be on guard. Thanks brother.

3. a gentle iconoclast

January 8, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Levi, this reminds me of Christian walking the narrow way and all those villains he encountered there – were they a kind of picture of what he needed to avoid in himself? This message is daunting, but we need to be reminded that if we think we’re standing, we’d better take heed lest we fall.

January 8, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I believe youre right, Maria. These Begg devotions are taken from Spurgeons Morning and Evening in Beggs words i understand. Ive liked them so far.

• a gentle iconoclast

January 8, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Aha! so you said you were done with Spurgeon, Levi… ? Guess there’s no getting away from someone who loved the Lord and had a lot of helpful things to say from walking with Him.

January 8, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Lol, i will never be finished with Spurgeon but i think people were maybe tired of it. Idk. I was just going to quit blogging but this has a little twist to it. I thought i would try it. Sometimes i feel like im preaching to the choir though. Ive also noticed that many people like stuff and havent read it so that you will like theirs.

• a gentle iconoclast

January 8, 2015 at 6:31 pm

This is true, Levi, and it is a temptation for Christian bloggers – it is the world’s way of doing things.

I think that your readers are interested in you, and therefore in whatever you have to give them, because of who you are and because of your ministry to the Jewish people, which is so needed.

To return to what was said here – we just need to be with the Lord and do things out of love for Him, as much as is possible, with His help.

Maria

January 8, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Maria, thanks for the encouragement. Since i have no time to write at this time i wasnt sure if i should continue. I appreciate you!!

4. Wally Fry

January 8, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Levi, I vote continue. I hate that you don’t have time to write now. I really liked your series on Charles Spurgeon and was looking forward to 2015 to see what you did with the year.

January 8, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Wally. At some point i will have time to write again, Lord willing. I aporeciate your faithful support. Shalom!!

January 12, 2015 at 8:56 pm