Jesus and the Mummy !!!!!!

18 Apr

Even though it has been a couple of weeks since we celebrated Passover and Resurrection Sunday, I wanted to share something that came across in my reading today. It’s not new information but maybe something that we need to be reminded of.

Every person that Jesus raised from the dead eventually died again. There is a big difference between a resurrection and a resuscitation.

Jesus called down into the darkness of the tomb with a loud cry, “Lazarus! Come out!” Jesus’ shout into the darkness reminds me of His earlier words: “I say to you, that an hour will come and is now here in which the dead will hear the voice of the son of God, and those who hear will surely live” (John 5:25).

Lazarus stepped out of the grave still bound in his tachrichin, the linen wrappings in which the Jewish people bury the dead to prepare them for the resurrection. In Jewish burial practice, the simple linen garments are tied around the dead with special ceremonial knots. A covering veils the face of the dead.

In those days, they placed a strip of linen on the body, wide and long enough to completely envelope it. The feet were placed at one end of the cloth and then they drew the cloth over the head to the feet. They bound the cloth at the angles, and they fastened the arms to the body with linen strips.

The Gospel’s description of Lazarus’ burial garments is consistent with Jewish burial garments to this very day. The Gospel of John later describes the tachrichin of Jesus in identical language, but in His case, Jesus left His burial garments behind, lying alone in the tomb.

So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen wrappings with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews. (John 19:40)

And so Simon Peter also came, following him, and entered the tomb; and he saw the linen wrappings lying there. (John 20:6)

The grave clothes illustrate the difference between the resurrection of Lazarus (resuscitation) and the resurrection of Jesus (transformation). Although Lazarus returned from the dead, he remained clothed with a mortal body. He was certainly to die again. Jesus, however, left mortality behind in the tomb, much as He left behind His burial garments.

Jesus instructed the onlookers to release the revived Lazarus from his burial garments and let him go. Jesus also releases us from our mortal bodies and offers us a transformation. “Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus the Messiah our Master!” (Romans 7:24-25). An hour is coming when the dead will hear His voice and rise. We will at that time be unshackled and free indeed.

Shalom, until next time, Lord willing,

Posted by on April 18, 2015 in Christianity, Faith, Religion

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

19 responses to “Jesus and the Mummy !!!!!!

April 18, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Praise be to God! I like the sound of “and we shall be set free.”

2. atimetoshare

April 18, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Attended the funeral of a 90 year old woman and the sermon was just about this subject. What reassurance to know that our lives don’t end when we die. Our savior has made sure of that.

April 18, 2015 at 6:20 pm

He sure has, Kathy. Without the resurrection we would not have this hope. Hope you’re doing well. 😊

• atimetoshare

April 18, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Doing pretty good. Both Paul & i are suffering with spring allergies, but otherwise doing well.

April 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Glad all is well minus the allergies. They can be miserable at times I know. Lord bless you!!

3. Sheila Scorziello

April 19, 2015 at 4:00 am

Great insight, Levi! I can’t wait for our transformation! Another interesting fact about Christ’s grave clothes is that he folded the face covering before laying it aside. According to Bible scholars, when a cloth was folded and laid aside, it was a sign that the owner was through with it. He wouldn’t need it again. How true–Christ will never again be in the grave or suffer death! He is alive forever more!!

April 20, 2015 at 4:12 am

Good point about the grave clothing!

5. Anna Waldherr

April 20, 2015 at 10:38 am

I heard a preacher once say the Jesus had to call Lazarus by name. If He had not, the dead everywhere would have risen at the power of His voice. Thanks, Levi!

April 20, 2015 at 11:01 am

Hi Anna. Yes, I have heard the same thing and I expect it would be true. Hope you are doing well. God bless!!!

6. Heather

April 21, 2015 at 1:13 pm

I love this Levi!! Even if Easter is over, I’m going to use it in my SS class! Hope you are well!!

April 21, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Glad you liked it Heather. I am doing well. Thanks for asking. I returned only an hour ago from Texas and leaving for NYC again Saturday so I’m still hopping. Lol. Glad you’re doing better. 😊

7. Christian T. Golden

April 22, 2015 at 9:40 am

I like that distinction between resurrection and resuscitation. Overall uplifting post. Thanks! Be blessed. I know I was blessed by your post.

8. estherjoy

April 23, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Thanks, Levi, for these thoughts on resurrection v resuscitation. I look forward to our resurrected bodies, eating of the tree of life and living with an eternal sense of total well being!

9. Anna Waldherr

February 5, 2017 at 1:47 pm

A minister pointed out that Jesus had to call Lazarus by name. All the dead would otherwise have risen at His command. Hope you are doing well, Levi.

10. Anna Waldherr

February 5, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Holding my own. 🙂 I’d like to throttle that groundhog though. :)))